1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Competing Keywords In Same Account - Quality Score

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I want to break some Ad Groups out into some more specifically geographically targeted campaigns.  The keywords in the existing ad groups have quality score above 6.  I know when I copy the Ad Groups to the new Campaign, the Quality Score will be reset to 6.  

I was planning on adding the new Campaigns geographic location targets to the excluded geographic locations of the broader geographic campaign.  However, this means for the new, more specific targeted area campaign, I will be bidding in the auction with same bid but lower quality score of 6 and therefore will have lower position until Adwords gets enough data to adjust quality score.

What would happen if I did not add the targeted locations to the excluded locations of the original larger geographic campaign.  I assume Google will not show more than one ad for the same matching keyword.  Will it only show the ads from the Campaign with the higher quality score or will it do a blend of sometimes showing the newer campaign ads with lower QS and sometimes the old.  

The latter scenario is preferred as I don't mind losing some positions in the auction but I'd prefer for it to not be such an abrupt difference.  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Competing Keywords In Same Account - Quality Score

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Jeff, how are things?

Jeff C wrote:

I was planning on adding the new Campaigns geographic location targets to the excluded geographic locations of the broader geographic campaign.  

I'm guessing you're doing that because you have probably the whole country/state selected for that campaign, is that it?

Jeff C wrote: 

What would happen if I did not add the targeted locations to the excluded locations of the original larger geographic campaign. 

First , this would make you compete with yourself. As part of all Adwords Best Practices, this is not recommended, even if it suits your needs.

Google will always prefer keywords/ads with more relevancy, so in that case, it's reasonably to think that it will prefer the older campaign instead of the new one because of the higher QS and historical data. But since you'll have a new campaign with the same keywords, Google will test them out and rotate to see which one have better performance.

But, although this make sense in a short term period of time, on a long term run, this would be incredibly bad for you. When working with duplicated keywords, the keyword with worse resultds/quality score tends to pull the better one down. So in a long term, you good keyword could became as bad as the other one.

You should certainly prefer to create the new campaign for those specific areas and include those areas as negatives one in your broader campaign, so that way they would not compete.

From there, you would then have to keep and eye and optimize over time until you reach the desired result. There's no shortcut on that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Re: Competing Keywords In Same Account - Quality Score

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Jeff C;

Not sure I fully understood the scenario here, but in any case avoid duplication of keywords within the same Geo-area.  If keywords compete within the same  Geo area the keyword with the highest ad-rank will trigger the ad, and you might get the wrong ad, (from the "other" ad-group) shown.

Also remember  that the predominant component of QS is CTR  So work on improving your CTR ( the common techniques of match types and negative keywords, bidding higher on exact match...etc.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’