AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Competing Keywords? AdWords Rep. Advice vs. Reality?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yesterday I was talking with an AdWords representative who provided advice that didn't sound quite right, so I thought I'd ask you.

The AdWords rep said that given these keywords:

• +blue +bunny +slippers
  • "blue bunny slippers"

Using the same ad and same negatives, and all other things being equal.

I should eliminate one of the two because I am competing against myself.

His comment was that having both would somehow affect my adrank and I was driving my CPCs up by have both.

I clarified his comments with several questions so I know this is exactly what he was recommending.

Thought?

Thanks!!!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Competing Keywords? AdWords Rep. Advice vs. Reality?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chad,

Take a look here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en - this covers what occurs when multiple keywords in your account match a specific search query.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chad B
March 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, Chad.

There's no such thing as competing against yourself. For every auction that your account can take part in, a single keyword is selected (in case several match the search term).

Here's the algorithm used: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

In your case, a search term such as "bunny slippers in blue" would only be matched by the broad match modified keyword, so you cannot really eliminate "one of the two".

On the other hand, the rep is somewhat right, because if you use only the first keyword you're practically cover for the second as well. But in situations when you'd want to bid a certain amount for the phrase and not that much for the broad match modified one, you definitely need the two.

As an aside, I always define a core keyword that defines the product or the service and then use a spreadsheet to generate exact, phrase and broad modified match variations of it. After a while, according to their performance I adjust my bids and add the required negatives (if any). I do this because even if I can figure out exact and phrase variations, the order of words in a keyword may not be the one I've thought about, hence the need for modified broad match. Sure, I could perhaps ditch the phrase match, just to simplify structure, but I cannot know, in advance, if they don't perform differently.

Hope it helps.

(Later edit: Hello, Tommy, we were writing pretty much at the same time Smiley Happy ).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You're much better with words Calin - elaborate and eloquent. Smiley Happy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
... bows deeply ... Smiley Happy
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Calin & Tommy,

That's exactly what I thought and your approach sounds identical to mine.

Not the first time I've gotten inaccurate advice from an AdWords rep.
Though I'm always willing to believe there could be one thing I don't know ;-)

Thanks!!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Glad we could help, Chad. Please stop by another time Smiley Happy.