2.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Common Negative Keywords list is not working effectively

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have noticed that the "Common Negative keywords list" is not working properly with my campagins. for instance, i have ipod as a negative broad in the list but my ads are still serving the search terms which contains ipod in it.

Best,

Mahender

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Common Negative Keywords list is not working effectively

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Same problem i have face within my account as well, What i did is, i downloaded the list as it is and remove it from the adwords and upload it agian and it start working.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
This should not happen. Have you contact the AdWords support team?

And be careful:
'ipod' is not the same as 'i-pod'. Choosing negative keywords is not the same as positive ones. The broad match negative '-woman' will trigger search queries like
'wamon', women', 'wemon' etc.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Could it be a different keyword in a different ad group that is triggering the ad?

When in your account go to "Tools & Analysis" in the top nav bar and then go to "Ad Previous & Diagnostics". Type in the keyword that's triggering your ad. The tool will show if your ad is being served in addition to the exact keyword and ad group that it's being triggered from.

Basically make sure that the negative is indeed in all relevant campaigns/ad groups.
Ryan.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Mahender,

As I noticed that generally AdWords shows the search terms after some days or sometimes the same search terms shows under "other search terms". It means when you add the iPod as a negative, it has already triggred your ads and now you are able to see the search terms with the word iPod.

I agree with Ryanhaldaway, you can check such search terms in Adpreview tool and check whether your ads appear in the SERP(Adpreview Tool).
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’