AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Common Mistakes in SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys!

I'm a graduate student in marketing and i'm doing a dissertation on the use of Adwords in Small and Medium Enterprises in Portugal. I'm at a stage where i need to gather ideas about the most common mistakes made by this kind of companies, such as:

1) don't understand the keywords matching types (just using broad match for example);
2) use of Display Network without understanding what it is;
3) don't measure results and don't make improvements based on results;

Etc.

The aim is to find out what these companies do that leads them to bad results.

Grateful for any idea Smiley Happy.

Re: Common Mistakes in SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Vasco G

wow that is a question with a lot of scope - but an important one as i woudl estimate there is a very large proportion of total AdWords spend that is being basically wasted.

Some common mistakes:

[there are so many 'micro' mistakes that can happen to make your account unoptimised, so I am speaking macro which I think will be more in line with the context of your question]

Preparation:

1. financial preparation - not having an understanding of your true margins and costs and therefore required ROI to be profitable, do you know your conversion rate?

2. website/UX preparation - is your site actually worth bringing people to?  is your site mobile optimised? is it slow?

Offer/Competition:

3. competitive preparation - not checking your product/service prices against currently advertising/top seo competition to see where you sit

Implementation:

4. optimisation issues - not having someone who knows how to use the AdWords platform, or knows AdWords but not well briefed on your business (see 1.)

5. reporting issues - not having accurate reporting (see Google Analytics setup wrong or not understanding how it attributes value),  unclear reporting - looking at the wrong things

Those are just a handful of broad categories but I think that many hundreds of common scenarios we see would fall under them.

I am sure you will get some more answers form the community also.

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

Re: Common Mistakes in SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, macro mistakes are what I'm looking for!

I am building a scheme with categories and common mistakes that fit under them, so you help me a lot Smiley Happy.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!