AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Common Mistakes in SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys!

I'm a graduate student in marketing and i'm doing a dissertation on the use of Adwords in Small and Medium Enterprises in Portugal. I'm at a stage where i need to gather ideas about the most common mistakes made by this kind of companies, such as:

1) don't understand the keywords matching types (just using broad match for example);
2) use of Display Network without understanding what it is;
3) don't measure results and don't make improvements based on results;

Etc.

The aim is to find out what these companies do that leads them to bad results.

Grateful for any idea Smiley Happy.

Re: Common Mistakes in SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Vasco G

wow that is a question with a lot of scope - but an important one as i woudl estimate there is a very large proportion of total AdWords spend that is being basically wasted.

Some common mistakes:

[there are so many 'micro' mistakes that can happen to make your account unoptimised, so I am speaking macro which I think will be more in line with the context of your question]

Preparation:

1. financial preparation - not having an understanding of your true margins and costs and therefore required ROI to be profitable, do you know your conversion rate?

2. website/UX preparation - is your site actually worth bringing people to?  is your site mobile optimised? is it slow?

Offer/Competition:

3. competitive preparation - not checking your product/service prices against currently advertising/top seo competition to see where you sit

Implementation:

4. optimisation issues - not having someone who knows how to use the AdWords platform, or knows AdWords but not well briefed on your business (see 1.)

5. reporting issues - not having accurate reporting (see Google Analytics setup wrong or not understanding how it attributes value),  unclear reporting - looking at the wrong things

Those are just a handful of broad categories but I think that many hundreds of common scenarios we see would fall under them.

I am sure you will get some more answers form the community also.

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

Re: Common Mistakes in SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, macro mistakes are what I'm looking for!

I am building a scheme with categories and common mistakes that fit under them, so you help me a lot Smiley Happy.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!