4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Combining targeting of zip codes with targeting of income level

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Currently my ads are targeted to specific zip codes only. I see that I can also target ads to people in geographic areas based on income level, and the settings will allow me to save targets to income in combination with targets to zip codes. How will ad impressions be affected when I combine the two types of targeting.
For example, I'm targeting my ads to zip code 55436, one of several zip codes in the city of Edina. The settings will allow me to additionally target ads to everyone in Edina who fall within the top 10% income level. So, if I combine that income level target with the zip code target, what population of people will see my ad impressions?
Will the two targets be combined by the system so that my ads will only be seen by people who satisfy both targets, meaning they both live within zip code 55436 and fall within the top 10% income level? Or does one type of targeting override the other type?
Can you refer me to online documentation that corroborates your answer.

Thanks for your help!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony C
May 2017

Re: Combining targeting of zip codes with targeting of income level

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Tony C,

You probably noticed that I saved and displayed to you the very same geo-targeting combination in my first post above and additionally commented on it. Okay, let's go thru your new queries. Pleas note that it is fundamental that you also apply the advanced location targeting options as shown in my snip. My answers depend on that precondition.

1. 'Will everyone in the city of Edina who falls within the top 10% income, regardless of zip code, see ad impressions? (The city has more than just that one zip code.)'

Yes, they will.

2. Will everyone in zip code 55436 see ad impressions regardless of income, and only those people in Edina's other zip codes who fall into the top 10% income level see ad impressions?

Correct.

3. Will only those people who are BOTH located in zip code 55436 AND fall into the top 10% income level see ad impressions (and people who are located in Edina's other zip codes not see ad impressions)?

Negative. The case is correctly described in Qs 1-2 above.

4. MosheTLV said, "Zip code is Geo targeting and household income is audience targeting. Combining both applies the AND condition: Users targeted in the zip code and have  a given household."

That's correct in general. Just refer to your Edina targeting. However, zip codes are way too granular and rejected by Google in this case. 

5. If you can't provide a source for your answer, how can I know that your answer is correct....

The issue is not documented by Google, neither do I want to convince you. This is a free and open forum where advertisers try helping each other as much as they can. In my humble opinion, practice overrides theories and I performed a fair experiment before answering your query. The result of the experiment can still be seen in the snip in my first post in answer to your original question. I regard it as an evidence.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Tony,

Great question!

Google's "average household income" targeting is based on IRS data about zip codes. Google looks at the average household income per zip code, as reported by the IRS, and puts the zip codes into buckets. You can then target those buckets.

If you combined zip code and income targeting, Google would only target the zip codes you selected which also fit into the income bucket you're targeting.

Here is more info about income targeting: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043?hl=en

That article doesn't specify that income targeting is at the zip code level, but I confirmed that with my dedicated support team at Google.

Best,

John

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Tony C,

A fundamental query! My understanding is that your targeted location will look like shown on the snip:

Capture06march.JPG

Also take care of the advanced Location targeting options.

Under above conditions, the applicable logical operator will be "OR" and not "AND". In plain English, the locations of users getting impressions will have to satisfy either of the 2 preconditions set out below.

1. They are in Edina (with proper income)

"OR"

2. They are in 55436

In other words, impressions will come from people with proper income and located in Edina, except that zip 55436 is exempt of the income requirement. (I assume here that 55436 is fully covered by Edina.)

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The scenario is not clear, but the rules are the following;

Zip code is Geo targeting and household income is audience targeting. Combining both applies the AND condition: Users targeted in the zip code and have  a given household.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi guys,

The location targeting feature does not seem to be supportive at my end, of adding a combination of income targeting and zip code targeting.

Capture06bMarch.JPG

Whenever I press the big red ADD button, am getting the red warning right beneath it.

Actually that was the reason for which I interpreted the original query based on the second paragraph in it.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lakatos, thank you for responding to my help request.

You are correct that AdWords will not allow an income level target to be applied to zip code 55436.  However, it will allow me to apply the income target to the city of Edina, and zip code 55436 falls within the city of Edina.

The system allows me to save a geographic target for the zip code AND an income target for the city name at the same time.  Hence my question as to whether or not AdWords will then apply the AND operator when it creates ad impressions.

My goal is to target people who live in zip code 55436 AND fall within the specified income level.  The city of Edina has other zip codes in addition to 55436, and I do not want impressions to be displayed for people in the other zip codes,  regardless of their income level.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Tony C,

Thanks for clarifying your intentions. My answers above were based on my interpretation of the question in your first post. Now this is what you are saying:

"I do not want impressions to be displayed for people in the other zip codes"

If you don't want that to happen, you should restrict your geo-targeting to 55436. Zip-targeting coupled with an income bracket is currently not supported by Google and therefore there is nothing more you could do.

"...the settings will allow me to save targets to income in combination with targets to zip codes ...."

Negative, that's not true. They will not, because zips are way too granular, as discussed above.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you again for providing your assistance.  I am still confused by a couple of things.

First, I stated earlier, "...the settings will allow me to save targets to income in combination with targets to zip codes."

And you responded, "Negative, that's not true. They will not, because zips are way too granular, as discussed above."

When I said that the settings will allow me to save targets to income in combination with targets to zip codes, I am referring to the scenario pictured in the image below.  The system does allow me to save the combination of targeting to zip code 55436, AND targeting of the top 10% income level in the city of Edina.  I tested it twice and I was able to save the following targeting combination for my campaign.

Zip Code and Income Level Target Screen Capture.JPG

I want to make certain that I clearly understand exactly who will see impressions with the above scenario.

Will everyone in the city of Edina who falls within the top 10% income, regardless of zip code, see ad impressions? (The city has more than just that one zip code.)

OR

Will everyone in zip code 55436 see ad impressions regardless of income, and only those people in Edina's other zip codes who fall into the top 10% income level see ad impressions?

OR

Will only those people who are BOTH located in zip code 55436 AND fall into the top 10% income level see ad impressions (and people who are located in Edina's other zip codes not see ad impressions)?

The answers that you and two other people (John Horn and MosheTLV) provided conflict with each other.

John Horn said, "If you combined zip code and income targeting, Google would only target the zip codes you selected which also fit into the income bucket you're targeting."

AND

MosheTLV said, "Zip code is Geo targeting and household income is audience targeting. Combining both applies the AND condition: Users targeted in the zip code and have  a given household."

AND

You said, "Zip-targeting coupled with an income bracket is currently not supported by Google and therefore there is nothing more you could do."

What do you believe is the correct answer, and is there online documentation that you can refer me to that supports your conclusion.  If you can't provide a source for your answer, how can I know that your answer is correct?  I can't accept  anyone's solution if I can't know which solution is correct.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony C
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Tony C,

You probably noticed that I saved and displayed to you the very same geo-targeting combination in my first post above and additionally commented on it. Okay, let's go thru your new queries. Pleas note that it is fundamental that you also apply the advanced location targeting options as shown in my snip. My answers depend on that precondition.

1. 'Will everyone in the city of Edina who falls within the top 10% income, regardless of zip code, see ad impressions? (The city has more than just that one zip code.)'

Yes, they will.

2. Will everyone in zip code 55436 see ad impressions regardless of income, and only those people in Edina's other zip codes who fall into the top 10% income level see ad impressions?

Correct.

3. Will only those people who are BOTH located in zip code 55436 AND fall into the top 10% income level see ad impressions (and people who are located in Edina's other zip codes not see ad impressions)?

Negative. The case is correctly described in Qs 1-2 above.

4. MosheTLV said, "Zip code is Geo targeting and household income is audience targeting. Combining both applies the AND condition: Users targeted in the zip code and have  a given household."

That's correct in general. Just refer to your Edina targeting. However, zip codes are way too granular and rejected by Google in this case. 

5. If you can't provide a source for your answer, how can I know that your answer is correct....

The issue is not documented by Google, neither do I want to convince you. This is a free and open forum where advertisers try helping each other as much as they can. In my humble opinion, practice overrides theories and I performed a fair experiment before answering your query. The result of the experiment can still be seen in the snip in my first post in answer to your original question. I regard it as an evidence.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

OK; I see what has been going here.

I replicated the case and since no household income  data for 55436 is available,  then as @Lakatos  mentioned, my answer is generally correct, but not in this case when data for a given zip code is not available.

Hence @Lakatos' reply is correct.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’