Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Combining Phrase Match and Modified Broad Match

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can I combine phrase match and modified broad match?

For instance, let's say I want to go for all searches for homes for sale in Austin, can I do something like,

+austin +"homes for sale"

This way, someone searching for "homes for sale on columbia blvd austin" would return my ad.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Combining Phrase Match and Modified Broad Match

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Coleen !

You can achieve what you want with BMM alone :

+austin +homes +for +sale

If you are concerned that homes or sale can be combined in a way that you don't want, just add that expression to the negative keyword list.

For example you could set a negative word of "cheap homes for sale" , but make sure to use phrase match because if you use broad match negative words, the rule says that "any of the words from the broad negative keyword" represent a negative word.

Now for your long expression I would use 

+homes +sale +columbia +blvd +austin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Adrian.  I think I will give your suggestion a try.  Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You can find a good discussion on the topic in the following link;

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Keyword-Match-Type/td-p/150452/highlight/true/pag...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've seen a couple of conversations about this and while BMM helps the situation it would be better to have more control by using a combination of BMM and phrase.

For instance using the above example +austin +homes +for +sale would also show my ads for things like:
looking for homes in austin that have a garage sale today

find austin homes to rent not for sale

home brew supplies for sale in austin (since close variants will trigger my ads now too).

obviously I don't know any exact searches but these sorts of things are all over in search and having use of a combination would be useful since +austin "homes for sale" would work quite well to remove much of that sort of result from searches.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’