AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Combining Interest Audience Targeting With Re-marketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I've searched for an answer to this on the web and on these forums and haven't found a clear cut answer so apologies in advance if this has been answered before.

My questions is can you combine an 'in-market' audience with a custom email list I've uploaded for re-marketing purposes. I want to target my customers however only when they are showing signs of booking travel (hence the in-market choice), I have the targeting set up for the ad group selecting my custom remarketing audience and an 'in-market' audience of 'Air Travel'. Both of these are set to target and bid.

It seems as though they are interacting independently of each other though, despite this, as the audience size that adwords is presenting to me in the 'weekly available impressions' pie chart is way over the size of my re-marketing list (and it doesn't change when I add and remove the remarketing audience).

Is there a way to target my remarketing list and an in-market segment in combination with eachother? I.e. only target users on my list that match the in-market segment.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Matt

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Combining Interest Audience Targeting With Re-marketing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Matt.

In AdWords alone you can't even combine a regular remarketing list with an in-market audience, let alone an e-mail list. Here's how to create a combination, in principle.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549111?hl=en

Now, what I could do, with the help of Google Analytics, was to create a remarketing list there, using in-market or affinity criteria (accounts are linked and info is passed from one to the other) and then combine it with another remarketing list from AdWords. That seemed possible to achieve this way. That's because all you can "intersect" in AdWords are remarketing lists, not other types of audiences.

And you need to intersect them, because otherwise if you add them both to your campaign you'll show your ads to either people who are in-market for something OR people on your remarketing list. And that's not what you're gunning for, if In understood everything correctly.

Let us know if there's anything unclear or if we can help you any further.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

Thanks for your help on this one Smiley Happy.

I thought about the GA Re-marketing route but that would be based on the user visiting my site during the specific time-frame defined in the list (i.e. the GDN audiences in GA are only relevant to the traffic hitting my site rather than the entire audience bucket available in adwords directly), which was not the affect I wanted as I already have a re-marketing campaign treating recent web visitors.

I wanted to target a specific audience segment that had purchased from my site previously, has not been to the website in the last 30 days and but is now 'in-market' to travel in an effort to re-activate these users.

From my understanding I don't think this is possible to do within AdWords?

Cheers,

Matt

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You're welcome, Matt. I kinda saw this one coming, but this is all I could come up with Smiley Happy.

I don't think what you want can be achieved through AdWords and Analytics, at this time, unfortunately.

Another shot would be to target your whole e-mail list initially (ad group A) and then create a GA remarketing list from people hitting your website via ads in ad group A (and therefore on your e-mail list) AND who are also in-market for air travel. And then bid higher (and maybe with a different message) for that list, in ad group B.

So first strike is with lower bids for all your list, second strike is with higher bids, for people who already hit your site once and are in-market (as detected by GA) for Air Travel.

But that's my final offer, so take it or leave it Smiley Happy, 'cause I got nothing left.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Calin,

It's a shame its not feasable would allow for some powerful targeting - hopefully its on the roadmap!

Thanks for the idea - will give it a shot.

Cheers,

Matt