7.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Combining Broad Match & Broad Match Modifier

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

From what I can understand, when we have more than one word in broad match keyword, the keyword will be triggered if the search term contains at least one of the word.

So if I have keyword : red shoe

These search terms will trigger the keyword :

red book

blue shoe

What if my keyword is : +red shoe

I understand that the word "red" must appear in the search term. How about the word "shoe"?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Highlighted

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Red must be included within the search term,

Shoe - not necessarily. And a also synonym of the shoe (e.g.  Sandals) could also be used in the search term (e.g. "nearset shop for red sandals") 

(Note: modified broad cannot be matched to synonyms, only the classic "broad")

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks moshe. So if I have keyword : +red shoe

These search terms can trigger the keyword :

red shoe

red sandal

But how about these search terms below? They contains the word "red", but don't contain "shoe" or it's synonym.

red

red book

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Why would "red"  or "red book" would be matched with a  user query about shoes

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

From what I can get from your first reply, you said that the word "shoe" doesn't have to be on the search term. So I want to confirm whether search terms that do not contain the word "shoe", like "red" or "red book" can trigger the keyword.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Well...  I think you should familiarize yourself how broad match keywords are matched to a search query.

The Google AdWords system automatically runs your ads on relevant variations of your keywords, including synonyms, singular and plural forms, possible misspellings, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), related searches, and other relevant variations. To help deliver relevant matches, this match type may also take the customer's recent search activities into account.

In no circumstances a "book" could be considered a relevant variation of a "shoe"...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I probably wasn't being very clear, but I'm starting to understand your answer.

My question was, if we have keyword : +red shoe

Whether the word "shoe" or it's variation must be in the search term. From your answer, I'm getting that it must.

But how about : +red running shoe

Do both "running" and "shoe" (or their variations) must be in the search term, or only of them is enough to trigger the keyword?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Susilo S
1 month ago

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Nope;

Only the word with the + (i.e red) must be part of the search terms. ,

That said, the other words, should have some correlations to the search term.

For example:  the search term can be "red shoes" (without running), but it cannot be "running shoes". 

On the other hand the search term "red book" has no correlation with "red shoes" - so there will be no match.  The matching algorithm is sophisticated to recognize the "context"  of a  search term and its (contextual) relations to keywords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Using +red shoe keyword match type, your ad may appear on below kind of search terms: -

cheap red shoe

buy red color shoe

running red shoe

affordable red shoes

The word Red should be there when someone is searching for Shoe keyword. 

Cheers!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

hi, the word shoe will trigger all kind of synonyms and other garbage like "red boots", "red sandals", etc. I don`t recommend using the broad match at all, it results in very low QS and tons of negatives to add. Moreover, for AdWords "walmart" is a synonym of "costco", so things get pretty dirty with this match type.

Experts in the Topic
MosheTLV