AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Combining Broad Match Modifer with Phrase in 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Everyone

I sell toners and some have a hyphen within them, such as TN-2010. I therefore need to target both combinations (TN-2010 and TN2010). Obviously the one without the hyphen is simple enough.

My plan is to create a load of exact and phrase match keywords and then have a broad match modifier to catch other possible searches.

So I want to create a broad match modifier like this: +"TN-2000" +MachineModel

Will this work?

Cheers

Nick

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Devil L
September 2015

Re: Combining Broad Match Modifer with Phrase in 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 11
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Justin

My IT programmer has designed a way for me to easily implement STAGs for the thousands of products we sell. Our Adwords account will have exact and phrase matches and modified broad to catch the ones that we haven't thought of.

You're right, that with good Ad Copy people will hopefully not click on the ads if it is irrelevant but I just wanted to make sure that relevancy is as good as I can make it. Sounds like for now I'll have to compromise and see what happens.

Cheers for your help.

Nick

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Devil,

First of all, Google ignores hyphens in keywords, so TN-2100 will be treated as the same as TN2010 whatever the match type.

My recommendation is to have just two variations; one with space "TN 2010" and one without "TN2010".

Let me know if you need any clarification.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Nick,

To follow with @Ahmed Ali, only 2 operators are considered in keywords list and they are ampersands (&) and accent marks (á). Apart from this, there are symbols that are ignored and invalid as well.

More details are here:-

Keywords.png

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi and thanks for the reply. Although I know that hyphen will be treated as a space, I didn't think that TN2010 would be treated the same as TN-2010. Are you sure?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

I understand that the hyphen could be treated as a space but what I want is to have a broad keyword but where the user has to have the phrase "TN-2010" or "TN 2010" in the search along with the model name.

I was therefore hoping I could have +"TN-2010" +ModelName

I guess I could do it as +TN +2010 +ModelName. Not quite as good but probably my only option.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
To clarify - you cannot combine phrase and BMM... your last proposal i.e. +TN +2010 + ModelName is probably your best option - and there's no reason why this should not be just as effective...

or simply have

"TN2010 ModelName"

and

"TN 2010 ModelName"

as phrase match keywords....

Having a broad match that must contain a particular word or phrase is... well, phrase match

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi, we're currently building a brand new Adwords account and I want to get it right first time if possible. We'll have exact and phrase match keywords but we'll also have BMM to catch the ones that exact and phrase matches miss.

So for instance, if someone searches for "Does the TN-2010 toner fit into the MachineName". Clearly I won't have this as a phrase but I'd still like my add to appear. Shame that Google hasn't thought of allowing phrases with BMM but perhaps that'll come. For now I'll just have to split it down.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
I'm still a little confused... if you have a BMM which is +TN +2010 +ModelName then this is the catchall you are looking for - and it will cover the phrase version as well....

You mention combining phrase and BMM - but surely the result is the same...

You could then use negatives to exclude the phrase and exact versions from the BMM ad group (or campaign) but that would, I suspect, be overkill...

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

To give you an example, some model names also have a hyphen so I wanted my BMM's to be as specific as possible but still allow for more generic searches to come up than would with phrase mach.

For instance, the Brother HL-1110 printer takes the TN-1050 toner.

So my BMM will have to be +TN +1050 +HL +1110 rather than +"TN-1050" +"HL-1110".

Therefore, my ad will show up when someone types in "TN ... HL ... 1050 ... 1110". The search phrase might have nothing to do with what I'm selling but I can't lock it down without it being too locked down.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Devil L

I think I follow you...

Being that you likely have a ton of different toner products for a ton of different models and brands, you will have a lot of keywords

You want to cover almost all search combinations with and without a "-", however, adding all combinations with and without a "-" is near impossible

Therefore you are looking to broad match modifier, but you are concerned about searches that put the word combinations in orders that don't reflect your product offerings

How am I doing so far =)

First, I applaud you thinking in such a thorough way. It can be beneficial to be neurotic when it comes to this stuff =)
But I think you are worry too much. Give the broad modified a shot, and check your search terms to see if your concerns are a reality.  Search terms are what users actually searched for that got matched up to your keywords to trigger your Ad.  I'm thinking the amount of searches you are worried about will be very small.

But again, we can be sure!

Here is the explanation on Search Terms, and Search Term Reports

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

The next thing I want to point out to you is that narrowing users does not stop at the keyword-level. Your Ad copy is another opportunity to weed out users who are making searches for what you are not looking for. So think about what you can write in there to encourage only users looking for the right product.

Hope this helps!

-Justin