AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Closely matching bid phrase to real search increase chance of showing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I sometimes see advertisers having keywords such as

great restuarants san diego

top restuarants san diego

good restuarants san diego

best restuarants san diego

great restuarants in san diego

top restuarants in san diego

good restuarants in san diego

best restuarants in san diego

etc

To try to hit long tail phrases. This creates these bloated accounts where many keywords get 0 or very few impressions, but the idea is that it will somehow increase their chances of showing if the the term they are bidding on is closer to the actual searched term.

Here is my question. Say a user searches for "best restaurants in boston" (while physically in boston). Assuming everything else is identical (bid, ad, history etc), will either of advertiser A-I have an advantage for showing up (they have all set targeting to boston with option "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location") ?

A: best restaurants in boston

B: best restaurants boston

C: restaurants in boston

D: "restaurants in boston"

E: [best restaurants in boston]

F: +restaurants +boston

G: +restaurants

H: best restaurants

I: "best restaurants"

In what order would these show up in for the phrase "best restaurants in boston" ? Are any searches exactly equivalent? Does more closely matching the search phrase with the bidded phrase give any boost in chances of showing? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Closely matching bid phrase to real search increase chance of show

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kiowa,

Does closely matching the search phrase with the bidded phrase give any boost in chances of showing? Yes it is.

The ranking preference is based on

1. The keyword that is identical to the search term

2. The more restrictive match type

3. Ad rank (bid X quality score) (not considering the affect of ad extensions)

In your example all the advertisers has the same ad rank. So the next preference will go to the 'exact' keywords present in the account, (advertiser 'A' and 'E').

As 'E' has the most restrictive match type (exact match), he will get first position followed by 'A'

Refer the link below, which describes how similar keywords match to search terms.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Hope this helps,

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

As Deepak mentioned the simple answer (with many exceptions) is the keyword with the highest ad-rank. (Assuming that you bid the higher on exact match and lowest on broad match - which you do not)

However, since you mentioned that many of the KWs do not trigger impressions, I would consolidate them under one KW with the option of "close variants" checked.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for that link. This seems to be internally, for Adwords to decide what bidded phrase to show for a particular search when there are several to choose from from the same advertiser. But will it affect my actual ad rank in the end in terms of what position to show?

It seems to me (assuming all keyword variations A - I are in the same adgroup using the same ad), that this is only used to determine what bid to use. When determining what position to show the ad in, they will look at the quality score between the actual phrase searched (which is based on the ad that will be shown - which will always be the same in this case ) and the bid (also the same) to calculate ad rank.

So having an adgroup with bid set to $3, and having all keyphrases A - I should not rank you any higher for the search "best restaurants in boston", compared to an adgroup that uses only +restaurants +boston for instance.

I am basing this on the assumption that the QS used to calculate ad rank is determined by the combination of the actual search phrase, and the ad eligible to show (and that ad will be determined in accordance to the link you shared). Is this correct or am I missing something here?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My question is, does consolidating them under one KW lose some benefit over having them exactly matched as keyword? My understanding is that it wouldn't, since the bidded phrase is only used to determine what ad and bid to use. Then QS is determined by looking at *actual* search phrase and the ad, and this is combined with bid to determine ad rank. But since both ad and bid is the same here, then it shouldn't matter in terms of actual ad rank (and in terms of what position your ad will show) what terms A - I I use. As long as there is something there to trigger the ad my ad rank will be the same regardless what phrase I use (since bid or ad won't change). Is this correct?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I would break a KW into its variants only this is a competitive KW with high CTR.
However, you said "many keywords get 0 or very few impressions,"...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’