5.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Close variants as separate keywords

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Is it worth adding a close variant from my keyword details report as a separate keyword if it has shown up multiple times? Or should I assume that the variant is already triggering my ads? I want to get as much relevant traffic as possible, but I worry that the QS will be low if I add a misspelling.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Close variants as separate keywords

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi fnippy,

If you are receiving them in your search term report regularly, add them in so they are their as well.

Even though they may already trigger the ads, they will perform differently on their own and you will be able to manage the bids separately as well. I always like to have more control over bids & ad copy for keywords.

I never worry about low QS on mispellings, you should be worrying about your ROI ;-)

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi fnippy,

If you are receiving them in your search term report regularly, add them in so they are their as well.

Even though they may already trigger the ads, they will perform differently on their own and you will be able to manage the bids separately as well. I always like to have more control over bids & ad copy for keywords.

I never worry about low QS on mispellings, you should be worrying about your ROI ;-)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
For me, you should add those close variants as every word has its own Quality Scores and you can have better control on bids of each keywords as mentioned by purefuzz.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

Just an additional thought, may be u can add close variant keywords in separate adgoup with dedicated adcopy.

At the same time you can also add these keywords negative for other adgroups. So that you can judge performance of these keywords.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks so much for the responses. I am going to do some experimentation with a separate ad group.

I know I shouldn't obsess over QS, but because I can't use conversion tracking, it can be difficult for me to calculate the ROI. Also, I am in a small, but very competitive pool where having the highest QS possible makes a big difference for me.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@fnippy wrote:

Also, I am in a small, but very competitive pool where having the highest QS possible makes a big difference for me.

Then this is precisely the reason why you should include any relevant search term, exactly as it appears in the Search Terms report, as a keyword.

The CTR of a keyword is used in the QS calculation only when it matches the search query exactly. So even if you use +broad +match as a keyword, if people keep looking for very broad matches and click your ad, the QS and CPC for +broad +match will not get better as a result of a good CTR. If you include [very broad matches] among your keywords though, its QS will get higher and higher after getting clicked often.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.