Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Close variants - HELP!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I am really confused as to what action to take due to the changes in the Exact match policy regarding close variants and would really really appreciate any help you guys can give me - I tried speaking to Google about this but they were unaware of the change in policy until I told them - so they weren't much help.

At the moment in my account I have broad, phrase and exact match versions of keyphrases - I  have the same keyphrase often repeated in all three match types. I also have the same situation with misspellings and plurals.

What action should I take as a result of the change? After reading up on the change the person I spoke to at Google said there would probably be no detrimental impact by leaving the plurals, misspellings etc running if they were in the same ad group as the singular correct spelling of the keyphrase but that if they were in a different ad group it might be wise to pause them to avoid raising the competition for myself.

Does anyone have any ideas on what would be the best thing to do? I am so confused!! 

Thanks,

Laura

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Close variants - HELP!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Laura,

The first question would be: Did you previously opt out of close variants? They were the standard setting and you would have to manually opt out of the setting in order to change it. If you did not actually do this then there will be exactly 0 change in your account as all your keywords were already opted in to close variants.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I've been trying to remember this! As I can't remember opting out it probably means I didn't - where was this setting?

Do you feel the way I currently have match type set up the way I described with my different phrases is OK or are there improvements that could be made?

Thank you so much for your quick reply! Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Laura,

This change was actually bound to happen when it was announced somewhere in the middle of August that by default exact and phrase match type keywords will be matched to their close variants including misspellings etc...Option to disable would be removed.

Here's the official announcement:-http://adwords.blogspot.in/2014/08/close-variant-matching-for-all-exact.html

My suggestion would be to first identify and see whether the misspellings you have been using were really worth or not in terms of ROI, CTR and other important AdWords metrics by reviewing the Search Terms. Based on that, you can take strategic decision whether to keep them or pause them.

Also, if you refer to the above link I shared, Google doesn't discourage the advertisers to use close variants. The prime factor is the relevancy and if the close variant which you are using would be more relevant, then that keyword would be triggering the ad copy instead of the other one (i.e. exact or phrase).

So the key in your case would be to first review your search queries and then optimize the campaign accordingly.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Do you think it was right what the Google person said that if I have plurals, misspellings etc in other ad groups from the singular that I could be competing with myself and raising the CPC?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I think it is probably worth adding all the keywords you are bidding on in a campaign as negatives to each ad group - obviously excluding the keywords included in an ad group from that ad group as you add them? Thoughts?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Laura,

First of all, you can make a test with two ad groups, one with these miss spellings words etc. and one ad group without these. Then make a experiment test - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375383?hl=en&ref_topic=3123045
Then you can find out what will be the consequences of having misspellings etc. in your ad groups.

You can also separate these misspellings etc kw in a different ad group and add them as negative in the original one, so you don't raise the competition.

Good luck!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I agree with @pankaj1782, and this would also be the  approach (I think) you should follow;

>>"...see whether the misspellings you have been using were really worth or not in terms of ROI, CTR and other important AdWords metrics by reviewing the Search Terms. Based on that, you can take strategic decision whether to keep them or pause them.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hi Laura,

I agree with Pankaj & Moshe here. You need to gauge the importance of any keywords that you wish to add to your campaigns. Search Term/Query report would be the best way of finding this out.

As for targeting plurals & misspellings in a different adgroup, I think this was the right way of doing it before this update. With this latest update, you may not need to target the misspellings, plurals, etc. in your campaigns as you would essentially be targeting the same set of keywords in different adgroups and increasing your internal competition.

Since AdWords considers any misspellings or plurals as close variants of your targeted keywords as the keyword itself, you targeting them in a different adgroup will eventually lead to you recording clicks at higher CPC's due to the increase in competition.

Also, I have friends who have used this strategy to target misspellings & plurals in their campaigns but it did not yield much traffic or results as the original keyword adgroup ate up all the traffic leaving very less room for performance here.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks everyone for all your help I really appreciate it - I will give it a go and see how I get on!! Smiley Happy