4.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Click to Call Extension With a Google Voice Numer

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I implemented click to call extensions several months ago and set up additional call tracking by using Google Voice numbers for the ad extensions. Woah do I see discrepancies. 

So I check my click to call extension performance and notice 26 click to calls. However my Google Voice history shows 6 calls. I realize that there are times when a user clicks to call and never connects, hangs up before call is answered or other possible scenarios. However, 6 actual connections out of 26 billable clicks seems high. Therefore each connected click to call costs me more than $4. I love reporting there are 26 click to calls used, however I have no supporting data that shows the majority of those users actually called. 

I would love to see a click to connect instead of click to call. It seems I am billed for the click and not the call, is that correct?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Click to Call Extension With a Google Voice Numer

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey David-Ray,

When viewing stats under the Ad Extennsions tab, the 'clicks' column includes all clicks when that extension is present.

So for example, my ad shows with my phone number appended and then a searcher clicks the headline of my ad rather than the phone number. This would be counted as a click under the Ad Extensions tab/report.

If you want to get the number of individuals that actually clicked the phone number, you can do the following;

1.) Click on the Campaigns Tab so that you are viewing all campaigns

2.) Click on the 'Segment' drop down box

3.) Choose 'Click Type'

4.) Additional rows will be added below each campaign. These contain stats for headline clicks and extension clicks. These numbers will report the actual number of clicks on the extension rather than a click anywhere on the ad.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

BI

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you.

That does help. That report layout makes much more sense.

Can you tell me how to evaluate sitelink performance? Is there a way to view click data on a specific sitelink, all I can seem to find is general data for all sitelinks, I would like to remove underperforming sitelinks, but I cannot find a way to evaluate individual performance.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

As far as I know, you can only view stats on the group of sitelinks rather than individual ones.

What you might be able to do is append additional tracking parameters to the end of each URL which could then be tracked in Google Analytics if you have an account setup.

Thanks,

BI

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks, I did recently set that up and hope to get some good insight. Just checking to see if there was a report out there for that. I appreciate the feedback Blue.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ray, 

I came across your post when searching for a way to connect my google voice to my google click to call. I wanted to know if you can give us some insight on this. So when you linked (if we can call it that) your google voice phone number and inserted that into the google fowarding phone number for click to calls on ads, we're you able to record those 6 calls you got? Or what kind of reporting did you have on those 6 calls?

I really want to know if those calls were recorded since that's what we're trying to do with our campaign. Any feedback will be deeply appreciated. 

Thank You.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
It will not record unless of course they leave a voice message which became the problem it often did not always transfer calls because of course I'm using this to forward to another line I'm not certain if it was because it was trying to handle multiple calls and it can't do that at the same time or if it's just sometimes it would fail to forward but I would sometimes receive voice messages which of course was not my goal I wanted to just a forward so sometimes I would get email notifications a voice message was left and that didn't work for me so I had to search out and find another call forwarding or call tracking service provider. Using Google Voice it will provide you with your belly to track call history date of time and caller ID however it seems to be unreliable in regard to forwarding which may be a result of an inability to handle multiple calls at the same time

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ahhh I see, well I guess we'll have to look for other options just like you did. Thanks for the info, really appreciate!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I realize that this is an old post so please forgive me but I didn't know where else to turn.  My Google Voice simply doesn't work.  Some time ago, I think I inadvertently had it dial my cell phone or go through my cell phone somehow to make outbound calls.  After I did that, it never worked right again.  Can someone please help me troubleshoot this?  I'd love to use it like I used to use it...straight from my Google Chrome browser.  

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.  Thank you!