2.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Click fraud

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I, too, have always had issues with online advertising. I often get sucked into spending $2,000 to $3,000 dollars each year for advertising that doesn't work very well. Then I read posts here abou click fraud and that opened my eyes. Not to sound paranoid, but I believe competitors are to blame for driving up my ad costs. Google says it can spot this behavior but I have doubts. For example, competitor A doesn't want to do the clicking so he asks friends to do it and rewards them with his free services. So, every day without fail these "friends" go to competing websites and clicks on their ads maybe two or three times. Competitor A can even have his kids do it while at the library on a different computer. There is no way Google can detect this. So every day my ad gets maxed out and disappears early leaving Competitor A with a clear field. I may go back to print ads.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Click fraud

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tony,

Sorry that you are running into these issues!

I just wanted to share with you that Google has many tools to prevent you from being charged for ' Invalid Clicks "Fraud Clicks" these tools have the capabilities to filter many different signals that your ads may have been triggered from a fraudulent source like automated tools, robots, or other deceptive software or even a competitor.

Yes it can happen that your ad gets clicked by a competitor once and a while yet I would be surprised if they are continuously using up your budget.

Google also gives you the ability to signal that a certain click is Invalid and even to the point that AdWords will perform an investigation within a week or so. to make sure that your investment is protected.

Here is some more info that you can read up on that might explain more in-depth - https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/How-Google-AdWords-Detects-Invalid-Clic...

And here is way to troubleshot these clicks - https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/2557048?hl=en

Good luck!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Trevor,

Do we have an option to specifically Report particular placements or targeting as our doubts of being fraud?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the quick reply. I am a seasonal (Lake Erie fishing charter) business so I have a short window to get my advertising right. This time around I have drastically cut my list of keywords. I did this after consulting with my customers in the off-season. First, I asked them to recall their search words, then what words in my listing attracted their interest. The result was clear. Most all of them used the keywords "lake erie" and "charter." I have narrowed my search terms to reflect that. My thinking is that potential visitors will have a genuine interest in what I offer. I still receive plenty of hits, but the conversion rate is less than one percent. My rates are middle-of-the-road and I've been in business many years. I'm beginning to think the economy is still in shambles and people just aren't spending their dollars on recreational pursuits. I also advertise on Bing with basically the same results.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I have worked on a many fishing charters web marketing Tony so I understand the industry very well.
I actually built most of the Lake Ontario fishing charters sites. Let me share some experience with you,

AdWords is not always like your print ads that they see and call. The little ad in the local paper doesn't offer much more than call me for info where you site is an information portal where they can spend some time and look at picture, rates and sometimes even videos so they may or not need to call right away.

Since they have received most of the information that they were looking for without calling it would be a good idea to incorporate a pop up lead capture form of some kind. It can be simple, if visitors are always going to your pictures and videos have a pop up saying "sign up to get our catch of te day photo" or if they go check out your rates maybe have " sign up to get our super promo prices" this way you get the visitors info.

Then you will have to do follow ups wit you leads to convert them into customers. Remember the people you reach from ads will need different follow ups than people that call you.

Hope this helps!

Trevor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try the lead form. Do you know of a site
that does this so I can see an example?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hey Tony,
Look at some competitive car dealers they have the lead gen down pat! Good luck Tony stay in touch were always here to help.