AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Clearance Sale Campaign Best Practices

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi folks, Happy New Year!

I hope that things are well with you. I'm setting up an always-on clearance centre campaign for a local retailer. They don't have ecomm, so Shopping is out, and they don't have enough locations for Store Visits conversions. They have unlocked extra budget for this, and we're driving people to call or go to a clearance centre location. There is very little profit on these items, but I'm basing my ROI on the cost of recouped square footage when a purchase is made.

Can anyone jump in with best practices for ad copy and possibly sale-type keywords? I don't want to send a bunch of sale junkies with no intent to purchase to my client's site. Brand is in, 'clearance + brand' and 'clearance + models' is in, but I'd love additional advice.

As these are clearance items such as floor models, I won't be able to add promo offers like extra warranties or additional repairs, it's truly a 'starting at 70% off' value prop.

cheers,

Julia

Clearance Sale Campaign Best Practices

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

There is an ad Countdown customizer that could be useful, it stresses the urgency of the clearance sale in the ad copy. - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6072565?hl=en

Be sure to set up location targeting since you have a physical store location, and use keywords related directly to the products you sell and the type of business. Combinations of both Broad Match Modified, Phrase, and Exact keywords can all be beneficial. If you want to use multiple match types for keywords, and if you have hundreds or thousands of keywords, I recommend setting up your campaigns based on "Product Type - Broad", "Product Type - Exact" (or whatever organization method works best for you).