4.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Cleaning up keywords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We have dilligently been weeding out keywords that are not relevant to our ads or landing pages.  This has improved our ad quality.  However, we now get significantly lower impressions and consequently lower clicks.  I assume this is caused by the weeding out of low quality keywords.  Am I right?  Do we now get better quality clicks?  I guess we do if we see an increase in sales but so far we haven't seen that.  Could someone please tell me how this works?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Cleaning up keywords/ impressions and CTR

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Arise;

Low quality KWs that just get impressions with no clicks - lower your CTR - a key factor for QS, thus, they should be removed.

Has your CTR changed?

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Cleaning up keywords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems like you´re on the right track. But maybe it´s too early too evaluate. What kind of volumes are we talking about? If you are are getting like 10 clicks a day and 2 sales per week (a not too shabby conversion rate) you still have too be patient for a few weeks before being able to draw any grounded conclusions I´d say.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Cleaning up keywords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Yes, in general, removing keywords from your campaign will result in the campaign getting less traffic.

The lower overall volume of traffic is good in this case. It does you no good at all to get 5,000 impressions a day if 4,900 of them are not people interested in your service or product. Getting only 100 impressions from people interested or highly possibly interested in buying is much better.

Depending on your market, the geographic targeting you're using in your campaign, and your daily spending cap, you may/may not be gettig all the "quality" traffic that exists right now.

Give it about two weeks, then check the stats for the two-week time period.  Review the Dimenions tab to see what kind of Impression Share (IS) you've gotten each day and each hour of the day to see if you're running out of budget. Review the IS metrics for the campaign overall (on the Campaign tab) to see if, in general, the system is serving your ads for most of the searches available. Once you've focused your keyword list on the best "quality" searches for your purposes, the obvious next step, IMO, is to make sure you have the budget needed to serve enough of those searches each day to produce the level of leads or sales you need.

There are a number of other things you can do--including adding additional (good) keywords or tweaking ad text to get a better click-through rate for the traffic you're already getting.

If I were you, I'd focus on this kind of optimization, rather than worrying too much about how many total times ads are being shown. (Obviously, this is not the case if the actual level of traffic you're now getting as dropped to five or ten impressions a day or some really low level like that.) Having eliminated low-quality searches is a good thing, not a bad one. Smiley Happy

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*