Guide Me
star_border

City names in Keywords - observation

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Just an observation:

We had several adgroups, each one related to specific service that auto repair shop provides (i.e. transmission repair, starter repair, oil change, etc), obviously each group had its own set of keywords (BROAD match with carefully created common set of negatives KWs).

Campaign is targeting 10mi radius around latitude and longitude of the shop.

Experiment - we took each KW set, added city names from within this radius to keywords and added them back(with broad modifier "+") to adgroups.

So for example now Transmission repair AG has not just "transmission repair" keyword, but also "transmission repair +CityA", "transmission repair +CityB", etc,etc.

Result - impressions and clicks number increase was around tiny 2%.

Probably not worth itSmiley Happy

D

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dmitry P
September 2015

Re: City names in Keywords - observation

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Dimitry,

You would see more of an increase if your prior keyword set was phrase or exact. Since you were targeting broad match, additional modifiers (geography, for instance) were already eligible to match. If you were targeting [transmission repair] and [Atlanta Transmission Repair], the volume would be incremental, as those queries weren't already able to map to [transmission repair], although I agree that the volume of an exact match geo-modified keyword would likely be low.

Just my two cents!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Dmitry,

I do not see any harm running this experiment. The geography you are targeting is smaller. We can't expect very big difference on it. Still, 2% seems a lesser.

How long have you run this experiment?

Thanks
Ratan

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
1 week

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Dmitry,

In that case, yes, you can't expect much increase in impressions. As your previous keywords were already broad match, and business location being in that locality already, AdWords must have been triggering your ads with/without the geo-terms.

Hence, not much to expect from this experiment.

Thanks
Ratan

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Was just trying to increase the volume without drastic modifications to the campaign Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Yea, it's better to experiment to understand things practically... Let cherish this 2% . You never know, if more of the sales are hidden in this small percentage only Smiley Happy