AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Changing my Adwords landing URL without affecting my past history?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am moving my domain from mysite.com/folder to mysite.com so need to change the landing urls for all my ads.

Is this possible now without loosing all my CTR/history and data?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Changing my Adwords landing URL without affecting my past history?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

your answer is here - it can do if not done right - https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/47656?hl=en
"Good to Know
When adding final URLs to existing ads, make sure to post the URL upgrades before posting the rest of your changes. If you post normally without upgrading the URLs, you will lose all stats and history associated with that ad."

NB: are you moving content out that used to be a folder on a site e.g. site.com/thecontent to being its own site like: thecontent.com?
as then you are not just changing the destination URL you are actually changing the 'destination website'.

If that is the case does this adwords account only run to that folder? or to other content on that site? - please confirm,

I ask as otherwise you may end up with 1 adwords account that is trying to serve 2 domains - not ideal.

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but not the best answer or you still need more info please 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
The special case of URL upgrade only works when moving from a destination URL to final URL - that is, an ad started with a destination URL, you clear that URL and set final URL (and optionally tracking template) at the same time. Further, the resulting tracking/final URL combination must be "logically equivalent" to the original destination URL - essentially, lead to the same landing page.

Edward's situation doesn't appear to fall under this special case - he actually needs to change the landing page, not just move the same URL around to different fields. There is no way to make such a change without losing stats.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Edward R,

You don't really lose all your data. It's all still available with the deleted ads. Be sure to select "All" instead of "All active", and to set a data range when the ads were active.

Changing keyword level destination or final URL will not have the same effect.

Best of Luck,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am moving my website to the root domain and the product urls will change.

So my ad for Ed Widget will got from mysite.com/catalog/edswidget-001 to mysite.com/edswidget

Changing my Adwords landing URL without affecting my past history?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

My ad was performing very well, but after i change my final domain name to a new domain I realize that my ad is not performing like it was before I changed the final domain name. What can I do to make my Ad performance improve and be like it was before