AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Changing destination URL or creating a new ad?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi!

Maybe someone can help me. Currently the way I have my ads set up, they direct to my tracking URL and from there to the destination URL. Now, I would like to add some ValueTrack parameters so my tracking URL can register the data for future analysis. But for that I need to change the current destination URL of my ads a little bit.

I am wondering whats better, if create a new ad with the new destination URL and gradually pause the 'old' ones or just change the destination URL of the existing ones.

The reason I am asking this is because I understand that changing the destination URL would 'erase' my ad history and that might affect performance.

Any tip will be appreciated!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yakito
September 2015

Re: Changing destination URL or creating a new ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Yakito,

If you change your destination URL it will delete the previous ad and create a new one with no performance. So, either way you are creating ads and starting fresh. I would suggest duplicating your ads in editor and pausing the old. That way if you ever want to go back to your previous URL, you can.

If you have a big account, you might want to do this in phases so that you don't see any performance changes but if your account is small it shouldn't be an issue. Even some large accounts might not have any performance changes.

Hope this helps!
Amy

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yakito
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Yakito,

If you change your destination URL it will delete the previous ad and create a new one with no performance. So, either way you are creating ads and starting fresh. I would suggest duplicating your ads in editor and pausing the old. That way if you ever want to go back to your previous URL, you can.

If you have a big account, you might want to do this in phases so that you don't see any performance changes but if your account is small it shouldn't be an issue. Even some large accounts might not have any performance changes.

Hope this helps!
Amy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks a lot Amy, it might be more work but it sounds as the best thing to do.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
No problem! Hope it helps! The easiest/fastest way to do it would be to export a spreadsheet, mark all of the ads as paused but don't upload yet. Then copy and paste all of the ads at the bottom of the spreadsheet and mark these that you have just copied and pasted as active. Change the "active" Destination URLs to be your new URLs.

Otherwise, if you just do it in the editor you'll have to go ad group to ad group and copy/paste. Talk about a lot of work! :-S