4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Changed my budget, and now CTR for a certain keyword skyrocketed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run a seasonal business, golf league related.  95% of my new signups are from Jan-May, so I increase my budget during that time.  Once June hits, I drop my budget to nearly 0 (actually $1 a day, from a high of $40/day).

I have very steady CTRs on 3 or 4 key phrases.  In April/may, the CTR on some of the top phrases can be as high as 10-12%.

But something odd is going on with a certain key phrase.  For just 5 days, the # of clicks ad words has reported doesn't match reporting with analytics. Analitics shows 20 clicks, adwords show 28.

Adwords suddenly shows a 28% CTR for this particular phrase.  AND the phrase isn't even grammatically correct.

On top of that, this key word phrase had only 76 clicks for the previous 65 days with 0 conversions, while my conversion rate average is about 2.5%. 

None of this makes sense unless they're fake or incorrect clicks.  Any other explanation?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Changed my budget, and now CTR for a certain keyword skyrocketed

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Larrybud,

Analytics shows visits, AdWords shows clicks. The numbers indicate you got 28 clicks from 20 people. That could be as a result of invalid clicks. Check your web logs and see if you did get multiple clicks from the same IP address. Those could be invalid clicks.

It certainly seems odd this phrase had a sudden increase in CTR.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Analytics should be higher than adwords.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
larrybud,

In adwords, go to the actual ad group and keyword tab. find the Keyword phrase and Run a Match Search Query Report for the time frame in question. That will show you what terms were searched upon that brought both impression and clicks. ( You can also do this in analytics with a few extra sort features)

With that data, you will have a better understanding of what is going on with that Phrase.

If you do the "matched search query" in analytics for that phrase you can use the secondary dimensions tab to really dive into other data like geo locations, browsers, you name it..

You last statement about conversion rate average, Each keyword phrase has it's own ROI based on total cost and total conversions.

I run many large campaigns, and for one client with a 50K monthly spend one keyword Term has a 10% conversion rate, while another term has a 3% conversion rate. They are mutually exclusive, even when the landing pages are the same.

Good Luck LarryBud

Thank
Eric Gehler