AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Change of website URL - Best way to do this so not to effect my Adwords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys

I hope you can help. I am wanting to change my url to a more relevant one. I have been running an adwords campaign for 2 Years on my old URL. What is the best way to transfer with having a big impact on my campaign? Thanks 

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Change of website URL - Best way to do this so not to effect my Adwords?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Rick,

When you say "old URL" do you mean that all of your paid search traffic lands on one page? Or do you mean that you are switching domains and thus you are using a number of unique landing pages?
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@petebardo has a neat methodology for the migration 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jim
I sell hand dryers. My current URL is www.blowmotion.co.uk. Its not great for organic SEO so I have been advised to migrate the website to blowmotionhanddryers.co.uk in order to assist organic search. How will this effect Adwords as its a whole new domain...

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

If the content is exactly the same between the old and new sites then the updated domain should not have a negative effect on AdWords. If the content is different then you would need to be concerned about declines in quality scores and be thoughtful of updating URL paths for pages outside of the homepage.

Assuming that you are using ad level destination URLs instead of keyword level and the site content is the same this is how I would transfer the site in AdWords:

Option 1 (easiest) - If you aren't concerned about some down time or the sites aren't live concurrently (and old domain isn't being redirected):
1) As soon as the new website is available just change the domain of all your ad destination URLs. New ads are generally approved within 24 hours, and oftentimes much sooner. This is the simplest option.

Option 2 - Sites are live concurrently and you're concerned about down-time:

1) Duplicate all the ad groups that you want live and set status to paused

2) Update the ad destination URLs in the new ad groups to the new site

3) Once the ads are approved you can activate the new ad groups and pause the current

- I would also recommend running a campaign experiment at this point sending only a small amount, say 20%, of traffic to the new site. This will help the quality scores of the new keywords improve while mitigating traffic to them at a lower QS. 

-Jim

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Rick F

I think you've gotten some bad advice on why you need to migrate in the first place. Keywords in the domain name just don't carry the same weight like it used to.  From a branding perspective I think you'll be shooting yourself in the foot if you do this. You've got a great brand name, and the domain name to go along with it. You don't see other great brands doing this.  You don't see Nike switching nike.com to nikebasketballshoes.com.  They work on deep linking to their sub categories with their link building efforts.  I suggest you consider focusing on that before switching domains.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jim
I will be getting the new site built on a new platform with the new domain name. However all content will be duplicated from the old site. I like your idea about sending 20% of traffic to the new site. Can I have 2 domains running on one Adwords account? I would have my current domain name on a woocommerce platform www.blowmotion.co.uk and my new domain name, blowmotionhanddryers.co.uk on another platform.
Thanks

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Rick F, firstly let me second @David Kyle's comments about the reasons for switching in the first place; the change you propose will almost certainly do nothing to help your organic ranking, indeed it's more likely to harm it as you'll be effectively starting from scratch.  Keywords in domain names are really the very last thing you should worry about - consider how many very successful companies don't use Keywords at all in their (branded) domain names...  The biggest effect a domain name has upon your company is it's memorability and ease of spelling, and I'd always recommend a shorter domain over a longer one so to be honest, I think it's a move that's unnecessary and possibly damaging.

I'd would also question the value of diverting traffic between two different domains.  There's no restriction on doing this with AdWords, but think carefully about the effect this'll have on your customers.  It's very common to find customers clicking Ads more than once in their path to purchase so if they click an Ad one time and see one site, then click the same Ad after the same search later and go to a different URL, which presumably will not have saved their basket in a session, they're likely to be confused.

My honest advice would be to concentrate your efforts on the existing domain, looking for ways to improve without changing the name.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Rick E,

Since Moshe pinged me on this, I'll give you a way to do this, but I tend to agree the new domain name isn't going to help much.

This is complicated since your going to a new platform as well. What I usually recommend is redirecting pages from the old domain to the new domain. This helps the bots to recognize the pages are the same, both Google-bot and AdsBot and will transfer the juice to the new pages. Change your display urls to the new domain so your ads will run.

For organic, I usually recommend redirecting all pages to the new domain. This transfers whatever juice you might have on the old domain to the new domain. Now, in an "incognito" window, search for your keywords. When the organic search results all return the new domain, the transfer is complete. At that time you'll want to change your final URL's to the new domain. You need to be careful in the redirects that they don't drop the query string during the redirect or you will loose the AdWords data.

This is easy if the new pages are the same URL's with the new domain. Not so easy when you're changing platforms as the URL structure will change as well. For a small site, not too bad. For a large site, tedious and time consuming to match up pages.

All that said, you might want to reconsider whether this is worth the effort in terms of return on the time invested.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords