AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Change in ad rotation setting

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Just saw a notification from Google:

New! Improvements coming to ad rotation setting In a few weeks, the Rotate option will change to rotate ads evenly for 30 days after an ad is enabled or edited, and then optimize for clicks.

How do you opt out of this??

What if I want to continue ad rotation evenly, for example to show different ads by choice?

am

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Change in ad rotation setting

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all your comments. I agree with most of them!!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello am;

It seems you will not be to rotate evenly after 30 days.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

:-(

That's sad....

Why is Google taking away that freedom?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It looks that nobody really knows what the reasoning behind this change. Advertisers do like even rotation... .Smiley Sad
Check Kim's G+ post on that...
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106872672348894417767/posts

@am wrote:

:-(

That's sad....

Why is Google taking away that freedom?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The advertisers are certainly the largest loser here, especially those who look at CTR as part of the picture when determining which ads to run. The Dynamic Keyword Insertion ad that most often has the highest CTR, tends to have the highest bounce rate and the lowest conversion rates as well. For advertisers like myself who have a conversion window that is far longer than 30 days, changing our ads to “optimize” based on CTR is a disservice to our meaningful optimizations. Although it’s masked as an attempt to improve experience for users it’s an obvious act to increase Google revenues. 

-Chris

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ugh, I wanted new options in ad rotation, but not this! I work hard to write multiple ad copies in each ad group that perform more or less equally so those ads will rotate on impressions and users won't see the same ad all the time. If I set to even rotation, I would really expect ad rotation to be even!

Now, if they wanted to make an improvement for us advertisers, allow us to set percentages served at the ad level instead of the campaign level. That way, the control ad gets most of the impressions, but the test gets a fixed percentage of those impressions. The way it is, if we have a good performing ad and write a test in order to try to beat that, we have to risk half of the traffic on the test. For accounts with a high CPC and millions of impressions, this makes a huge difference.

I can mitigate that by keeping two "control" ads plus one test. That way I only risk 1/3 of the traffic on the test. It's nice of them to optimize for clicks, but, you know, I'm not really interested in all the clicks I can generate--I need conversions. The ad with the best CTR is not always the ad with the best conversion rate.

It would be nice of Google to let me make my own decisions on my campaigns!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all your comments. I agree with most of them!!

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Moshe,

I can't access Kim's blog post. I guess I need to connect with her. Am not on G+. How can I see the post?

Thanks

am

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm not a fan of this at all. We have loads of clients on smaller budgets and it can sometimes take a while to gather enough data on adgroups with low search volumes. This is just going to make our jobs more difficult by having to go in and change this every month so we can make a good decision for our clients.

I don't believe this was ever inhibiting the advertiser performance as there is a reason for the split testing in the 1st place. We need data to decide on what is working for our clients. 30 days will not be enough time if we are running 10 Adgroups with 3 ads in each on a $10 daily budget.

Are you going to release a feature to let us opt out like you did for the keyword matching behavior changes that are coming in mid may?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm under the impression that if you edit/delete/create an Ad, then the 30 days is 'reset' so you get them ran evenly again.

Now I can see why Google have done this: Because after 30 days it should be more than enough time to remove an Ad and create a new one - however it's not working like they said it would.

I've removed an Ad and added a new one - the 30 days were not 'reset' and instead, 1 of the 2 Ads is now getting a lot more impressions. There's no way you can Split-Test if you can't have 30 days where they are shared evenly.