4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Change in URL resulted in significant decrease in clicks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I run a group of small websites and have recently consolidated some of them in one larger site.  I was wary about the impact this might have on my PPC campaigns so I have monitered it closely.

There are 8 campaigns (to 8 sites), 4 of which I have changed over to the new site; ad copy, KW, bid, etc remained unchanged - it's just the URL that has changed.  The other 4 campaigns I have changed nothing.

On the 4 campaigns that I have changed over to the new site I have seen a significant drop in clicks (-57%, -46%, -64%, -67%) which is a major issue for me!!!  On the 4 (benchmark) campaigns where I have changed nothing their change in clicks for the same period is negligible as expected (2%, -2%, 2%, 10%).

Why have I seen such a drop in clicks on the campaigns where I have switched the URL and how can I get back to the 'normal' level of clicks that I previously had for them?

Any help anyone can give will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Change in URL resulted in significant decrease in clicks

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adam,

How do the QS's compare between the old destination and the new destination. You may have had a little hit in QS because of the new display URL. The display URL, and, particularly, its domain are part of the QS calculation. With a new domain name, there isn't any history, so your QS may be lower. If you did not also adjust your bids, that most likely resulted in a lower position on the SERP's. In many or most cases, that will negatively impact the CTR, which results in a lower QS. And it cycles from there, lower QS, lower position, lower CTR, repeat.

Take a look at the average position and compare to before the domain change. Then adopt a strategy to get you back to your best performing position.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Pete.

I've checked the average position and there doesn't seem to be too big a difference, in fact in some cases it went up (although the changes seem relatively small so I'd just put them down as general fluctuation that you typically see month by month?), see below:

Campaigns with URL changed:
av pos before / av pos after
8.4 / 7.7
6.7 / 5.4
5.8 / 5.6
4.7 / 5.7

Campaigns with no change:
av pos before / av pos after
5.3 / 5.5
6.4 / 5.7
7.3 / 7
4.3 / 4.2

What kind of strategy do you think could be good?

Thanks

Adam

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adam, Just a question, did you have a lot of clicks in that position?

In those positions, I usually don't see a lot of clicks, so a small change in click volume could make a huge difference in CTR.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
You got me, Adam. You might need to look more granular at the data. What were your top performing keywords? How are the performing now? How does the QS compare to previously (that's the hard question)? Did you change ad copy?

These are somewhat low positions for your ads. Create some test ads--always keep at least 2 ads in each ad group, one control and at least one test. See if you can get a better CTR and QS.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords