Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Change in Performance After Budget Change

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Community,

Has anyone experienced issues with campaign performance after temporarily pausing campaigns or temporarily reducing the budget drastically?

For example, a few times I've had to stop campaigns for a few days by either pausing them, or decreasing the daily budget to $0.01. After a few days I would restart these campaigns to their previous spend levels, but the performance seems to change with reduced overall impressions, or a drop in conversion rates for several weeks thereafter.

I can't tell if maybe it's just a coincidence, but in some cases I've noticed this happen when no other changes were made to the account. So the campaigns would be well optimized and delivering consistent results for several months, and then a temporary stop in the budget for a few days dramatically alters the performance even after the budget is brought back up.

Not sure if anyone has had the same experience before / has any thoughts on this? Perhaps this temporary pause dramatically alters the quality scores in relation to competitor quality scores in some way? Or something else?

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alexander S
July 2016

Re: Change in Performance After Budget Change

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Alexander S

>>"... then a temporary stop in the budget for a few days dramatically alters the performance even after the budget is brought back up...."

Yep, I have seen this... In many campaigns...... It takes a campaign a while to regain past performances (on the display network, you might need to relaunch a new campaign). AdWords is a system of  a steady state: "unplanned" (e.g. pausing a campaign)  or frequent changes  are not "healthy" to  systems in a steady state. (The same behavior applies to physical systems in nature which are in a steady state.) Changes should be planned and moderate.

Hence, I recommend to pause a campaign by setting an end date, and not by reducing (significantly) the budget.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Change in Performance After Budget Change

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi @MosheTLV,

Thank you so much for sharing your insight on this! Much appreciated.

- Alex