Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Category in negative list

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Can I put a complete category in negative list. My ads have most clicks from category Business & Industrial as required, but it has too many imp from category Food & Groceries too which is unwanted. My conversion rate is 60% but CTR is only 1.79%. As a result my QS is getting down from average 8-9 for all keywords to just 5. Please suggest a way out

Regards,

Mita Mehta

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Category in negative list

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mita,

Yes, you can exclude the categories if they are not performing well and lowering your CTR and hence conversion.

Please see helpful article here to exclude the categories.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454012?hl=en

Cheers

SJ

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello.

Where do you see that category? You can only exclude "categories" (actually topics for the websites and interests for persons) on the display network. I tend to think though (since you talk about keywords QS, which is only visible on the Search Network) that you're talking about Search Ads, where you cannot exclude "categories".

Are you, by any chance, looking at "Analyze competition" and see that you get a lot of impressions in a certain category?

If that's the case please have a look at this link: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404205?ctx=tltp

"If you don't think that the category is appropriate for you, consider adding negative keywords or refining your existing keyword list to help prevent your ad from showing on those irrelevant searches."

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes I am using search network and am looking at "Analyze competition" only.
I have already added a lot of negative Keywords which has improved my account condition a little. It is not possible to know all keywords of some industry that is not my own even though the primary keywords of both industries are one and the same.
Please suggest if their is any other way around this problem.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mita,

May be you can keep adding negative keywords looking at the search term report.

It may take time to build a list of the relevant keywords to your category.

Also you can tighten up the search using other options like "interests" available in “Display network”