AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Case Question: Campaigns structure by location or not?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi People,

So for every advertiser campaign structure is the basic lesson you learnt that you can arrange it mainly by your website structure, by your business categories, or by the locations.(more)

My business is regarding a certain job search ads running in 6 countries - so I done this by location obviously. However, it got me thinking what's the benefit of doing this: So basically we have the same keywords, same subject line and description copy, same landing page, and all the campaign setting (bidding, ad delivery, etc.) are same except for targeted location.

What if I put them in one campaign that target 6 countries at the same time? What's the risk?

Thanks,

Jason

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
December 2015

Re: Case Question: Campaigns structure by location or not?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason Zhang,

There can be, and are, various methods of structuring campaigns. Many of them depend on the preference of account managers. But if you ask about best practices, efficient performance optimization, and easy for reporting methods, my personal favorites are -

• Keywords/Website theme based structure - (fits in almost any type of advertising goal and budget)
  • Location based structure - (fits in well when targetable geographies are bigger and there's no budget constraint)
  • Keywords match type based structure - (fits to small to medium sized campaigns/budgets. Though, it's tricky and needs minute attention for optimization)
  • Relevance/Purpose based structure - Purpose can be branding or conversions and campaigns can be structured based such goals and relevance. Again, it's tricky and complex in management

In your case, I would still prefer Theme based structure and go with different campaigns for different countries with locations set to be physical. 

When you talk about performance based structure where you would group keywords for different campaigns according to how their performance have been, it may be rather complex and a time-consuming process to manage and optimize them. Still, it's your preference. If you believe you can do great this way, stay with it. Else, you may consider restructuring based on theme and location.

To your last question - the case when location specific campaign may not be desirable is when the countries you target fall almost in the same time zone? Like New Zealand and Australia or UK and Ireland? But if you are targeting two countries like USA and UK, separate campaigns would be more desirable because of candid changes in time zons, behavioral preferences, language usage etc. 

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jason,

In your case, when you have the same bidding, budget, ad delivery etc. I dont see any risk. You can put them in one campaign and then analyse the data under the Dimensions tab > View Geographic. A risk might come if you see that the ads in one country are working better than another and you want to allocate more budget to that campaign.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason Zhang,

If there's a sufficient budget, I prefer having different campaigns for different locations - specifically for countries. Here are a few benefits of doing so -

• Ease in budget allocation for different countries based on their relevance to business' advertising goals and to the past/existing performances
  • All keywords/ad-copies do not necessarily perform equally in all countries. Having separate campaigns will make it easier to understand and optimize accordingly
  • Ease in ad scheduling. If you have only one campaign for all countries, it would be a huge challenge to go day parting because of time zone variations
  • A Bid modifier like device can be used more strategically if the campaigns are different. 
  • You can write more relevant and customized ads for different locations
  • Ease at reporting
  • Ease at management

There can be many others. 

My two cents.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Ratan-Jha,

These points are really good and reasonable. I can't argue with that.

But when I first came to this - it's because I thought there are other ways to do the campaign structures as I linkedIn which might be prior to locations.

Still take our cases: If we have 10000 keywords, some are generating premium leads, some are average, some are barely good. So probably I can do structure by keywords qualities..Thus the benefits are I can distribute more budget into the high quality campaigns and vice versa, which is more efficient.

So the real questions is: To what extent shall we do locations structures? What could be the case that doesn't fit location structure?

Thanks,

Jason

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
December 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason Zhang,

There can be, and are, various methods of structuring campaigns. Many of them depend on the preference of account managers. But if you ask about best practices, efficient performance optimization, and easy for reporting methods, my personal favorites are -

• Keywords/Website theme based structure - (fits in almost any type of advertising goal and budget)
  • Location based structure - (fits in well when targetable geographies are bigger and there's no budget constraint)
  • Keywords match type based structure - (fits to small to medium sized campaigns/budgets. Though, it's tricky and needs minute attention for optimization)
  • Relevance/Purpose based structure - Purpose can be branding or conversions and campaigns can be structured based such goals and relevance. Again, it's tricky and complex in management

In your case, I would still prefer Theme based structure and go with different campaigns for different countries with locations set to be physical. 

When you talk about performance based structure where you would group keywords for different campaigns according to how their performance have been, it may be rather complex and a time-consuming process to manage and optimize them. Still, it's your preference. If you believe you can do great this way, stay with it. Else, you may consider restructuring based on theme and location.

To your last question - the case when location specific campaign may not be desirable is when the countries you target fall almost in the same time zone? Like New Zealand and Australia or UK and Ireland? But if you are targeting two countries like USA and UK, separate campaigns would be more desirable because of candid changes in time zons, behavioral preferences, language usage etc. 

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

The way I see it your problem is going to be in identifying the location of the user, unless that's not important to you.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords