Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Capitalization Performance

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello AdWords ppl,

I see my Ads with capital text like "ZĽAVA pri online objednávke!" "DISCOUNT for online ordering!" performing better than my others Ads.

1. Is there any reason why I should not do it?
  2. Especially, can it affects CPC?
  3. Can it affects somehow other Ads in Ad Group which are not using capitalization?

Thank you

- Lukas
2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Capitalization Performance

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Lukas,

Capitalization up to certain extent is fine, but using it in excess is against the Adwords Policies. Read the Policy details here:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176095?rd=1#

However, I would emphasize on the point that you should focus on the content of your ad copy and make sure that it meets all guidelines. Additionally, the idea is to write an enticing, eye catching ad copy which let the user click on it and take the corresponding action on your website.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Lukas,

It could be a real problem and affect your CPC. If you get hit with excess capitalization disapproval repeatedly, it will lower your overall account score which could lower your keyword QS, and that would lead to higher CPC.

Capitalization of the whole word is generally restricted to acronyms. I am surprised to see DISCOUNT as one of your examples. In most cases, that would be disapproved as excess capitalization.

One thing I can tell you, it is more difficult for the human eye to read copy that is all caps. It takes more time. I can attest to this personally. I can often recognize words by their shape without seeing the actual letters. I can't do that if the words are all caps. It takes slightly longer to read copy in all caps than copy in mixed case. Given that you have somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds to get the reader's attention, I don't think I'd want to waste any of the time trying to decipher the all caps copy.

But that is a theory. The only way to answer your question definitively would be to test ad copy side by side, at the same time in a single ad group. Create one with mixed case and one with capitalization like in your examples. If the ad with capitalization is approved, run then both with even distribution until you have at least 1000 impressions or 20 clicks or more, then compare the performance. If it makes a difference, the CTR for the 2 ads will have a significant difference. I would consider anything more than 1/2 percent to be significant. For differences less than that I would use a tool to calculate the statistical significance of that difference.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Lukas,

Capitalization up to certain extent is fine, but using it in excess is against the Adwords Policies. Read the Policy details here:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176095?rd=1#

However, I would emphasize on the point that you should focus on the content of your ad copy and make sure that it meets all guidelines. Additionally, the idea is to write an enticing, eye catching ad copy which let the user click on it and take the corresponding action on your website.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Pankaj,

ok I understand that Adwords Policies can be a problem.
Does it affect CPC?

Thanks
- Lukas
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Lukas,

It could be a real problem and affect your CPC. If you get hit with excess capitalization disapproval repeatedly, it will lower your overall account score which could lower your keyword QS, and that would lead to higher CPC.

Capitalization of the whole word is generally restricted to acronyms. I am surprised to see DISCOUNT as one of your examples. In most cases, that would be disapproved as excess capitalization.

One thing I can tell you, it is more difficult for the human eye to read copy that is all caps. It takes more time. I can attest to this personally. I can often recognize words by their shape without seeing the actual letters. I can't do that if the words are all caps. It takes slightly longer to read copy in all caps than copy in mixed case. Given that you have somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds to get the reader's attention, I don't think I'd want to waste any of the time trying to decipher the all caps copy.

But that is a theory. The only way to answer your question definitively would be to test ad copy side by side, at the same time in a single ad group. Create one with mixed case and one with capitalization like in your examples. If the ad with capitalization is approved, run then both with even distribution until you have at least 1000 impressions or 20 clicks or more, then compare the performance. If it makes a difference, the CTR for the 2 ads will have a significant difference. I would consider anything more than 1/2 percent to be significant. For differences less than that I would use a tool to calculate the statistical significance of that difference.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Petebardo

I just translated DISCOUNT from my language. So I think its possible just becasue of that.

Yes, you are right about how human eye read and time. On the other hand if there is a lot of text from not mine ads, DISCOUNT (ZLAVA) word is like a light in dark Smiley Happy This is not what I think but I have more copies with and with out caps (same text) and I see that on 90% texts with caps has 10 x more clicks.

Thank for your help,

Lukas

- Lukas