Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can you use product targets in dynamic remarketing campaigns

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using product targets (under the Auto Targets tab) in my Product Listing ads to bid different amounts for various products on my website.  I would like to setup the exact same functionaly for my dynamic remarketing campaign.  I've added all my product targets but no impressions or clicks are showing in my campaign overview. I'm starting to think product targeting only only available for PLA campaigns?  Does anyone know if and how it is possible to control the bid amount by product for display network ads?

Mark

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can you use product targets in dynamic remarketing campaigns

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Mark,

Thank you for your posting. I have not found any reference on the our Adwords Help section for Dynamic Remarketing that shows you can use these features. Has anyone in the community been able to use the feature described successfully? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying the same setup and waiting for reply from Google on it if that works or not. Did you perhaps already found out if it works or not?

Cheers,

Marcus

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

No, product targets do not work for dynamic remarketing campaigns. Having product targets in a dynamic remarketing campaign will cause it not to run, so you should remove them.

With dynamic remarketing, you have to let the product recommendation engine pick the best products for each user based on which products they viewed or added to cart. While I understand that you might want granular control, the algorithm is very efficient at selecting products (and it is improving every week).

My recommendation would be to use conversion optimizer with the target RoAS (Return on Ad Spend = Revenue / Cost) option as it will influence the engine to pick the best product based on their price.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Late update. What you can do is segmentate on Product Type within the Campaign Settings. This will enable you to control what's shown to some extent. So you have a category structure like for example (same as your menu structure):

Cars -> Used Cars -> Toyota

Bicycles -> 

The first one will show only products within your 3rd tier segment and the second (bicycles) will show all products within that category.

Hope that helps.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
@Marcus: yes, you can use "product filters" in the campaign settings to control which products can be shown in the ad, but I would recommend against that. Doing so will get in the way of the product recommendation engine doing its work to chose the best products for each user and typically result in lower performance.

Consider the following: if a user sees 2 products on your site, one in the shoes category and one in the pants category and if you have 2 separate campaign set up with product filters to separate out shoes and pants. The result will be that this user will be retargeted by an ad showing only shoes or only pants, making the ad less relevant.

Segmenting by product category is more work and it performs less well. I would advise against it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
To answer your Questions Mark, Product Targets is for PLA ONLY.

Dynamic Search Ads DO NOT use Product Targets

Dynamic Search Ads DO use Dynamic ad Targets (in the same drop down menu as Product targets) under the Auto Targets Tab.