AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can you improve your quality score just by increasing your bid amount?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Increasing your bid can improve your ad position, which should increase your CTR, which should increase your Quality Score, which should improve your ad position, which should improve... etc.

This is crazy, but is it true, or is the CTR component of Quality score calculation relative to ad position?

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author William H
September 2015

Re: Can you improve your quality score just by increasing your bid amo

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
Not directly; CTR by definition is the ratio clicks to impressions. However, the higher your ad position, the more attractive and appealing the ad-copy ---->  the more likely the ad will be clicked.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello.

CTR, when calculating the QS, is adjusted for position, it is a known fact stated even by Google (though the relevant documentation has changed in time). Here's the latest version: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1659696?ctx=glossary

This status has also been adjusted to eliminate the influence of ad position.

However, although moving maybe from #5 to #4 just by bidding more might not improve your quality score, if one manages to break in the top 3 and show its ad with some attention-grabbing ad extensions (sitelinks, reviews, social extensions) then the CTR might get a boost beyond the expected CTR for, let's say, position #3.

That is a situation I have seen several times in my account and it did seem to suggest that breaking into the top #3, by bidding more, raised the CTR and the QS (possibly due to a higher than expected CTR). However, when this happened, not all parameters stayed the same, because the ad changed. It changed because ad extensions started showing.

It may be possible to get the same effect by moving from 5 to 4 or from 6 to 5, but I think that you have to have your CTR "above average" in order for your QS to rise just as a consequence of a higher bid which led to a higher position which, somehow, made a rather catchy but invisible ad become visible.

Sorry for the longer than necessary rant, it is based solely on my own experience, I don't have documentation to prove it. Also, who knows if in time Google will not diversify (if it didn't already) to include such scenarios as well (CTR in 1-3 with sitelinks versus without).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
Not directly; CTR by definition is the ratio clicks to impressions. However, the higher your ad position, the more attractive and appealing the ad-copy ---->  the more likely the ad will be clicked.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Not applicable
# 3
Not applicable
Are you then confirming what William is suggesting is true?

Increased bid > higher ad position > More appealing ad copy > more clicks > higher CTR > Higher QS... and on and on

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Google expects to see a higher CTR when your ad position is higher and thus compensates for it. For example, a CTR of 2% at position 5 might give the same impact as a CTR of 8% at position 1.

At least, I'm pretty sure of that, can 't immediately find a reference to it though.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
The answer: No you cannot directly increase your quality score by increasing your bid but you can increase your ad rank. Max CPC X Quality Score = Ad Rank.

As William eluded to, and Moshe confirmed increasing your bids can put the ads into better position which can then allow for better performance which will improve CTR which will improve QS and so on....

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
So, the CTR in the Quality Score is not adjusted for position? In other words, there is no kind of relative CTR? That would seem like a strange way of calculating to me.

I'd expect that for keyword / ad position combinations averages are calculated, then compared to your actual CTR to see if your ad performs better or worse click-through wise.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Kim (@Kim_Clink ) explained it clearly;

It is a misconception to think that the higher the position, the higher the QS

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems to me that what Ken said has to be correct.

It would be dumb (a revenue drain) for Google to give the same credit to a 2% CTR to an ad in position 1, to a 2% CTR to an add near the bottom of the page. Obviously, the ad at the bottom is more effective, given its position, 

Since my original post, I found this piece on Wordstream.com that says Google's calculation of quality score is very dependent on CTR by average position . The author of the piece seems well qualified, and it only makes sense.

http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2013/02/22/click-through-rate-by-ad-position

Thus: Short Answer, (I believe): No, you can't improve your quality score just by increasing your bid amount.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello.

CTR, when calculating the QS, is adjusted for position, it is a known fact stated even by Google (though the relevant documentation has changed in time). Here's the latest version: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1659696?ctx=glossary

This status has also been adjusted to eliminate the influence of ad position.

However, although moving maybe from #5 to #4 just by bidding more might not improve your quality score, if one manages to break in the top 3 and show its ad with some attention-grabbing ad extensions (sitelinks, reviews, social extensions) then the CTR might get a boost beyond the expected CTR for, let's say, position #3.

That is a situation I have seen several times in my account and it did seem to suggest that breaking into the top #3, by bidding more, raised the CTR and the QS (possibly due to a higher than expected CTR). However, when this happened, not all parameters stayed the same, because the ad changed. It changed because ad extensions started showing.

It may be possible to get the same effect by moving from 5 to 4 or from 6 to 5, but I think that you have to have your CTR "above average" in order for your QS to rise just as a consequence of a higher bid which led to a higher position which, somehow, made a rather catchy but invisible ad become visible.

Sorry for the longer than necessary rant, it is based solely on my own experience, I don't have documentation to prove it. Also, who knows if in time Google will not diversify (if it didn't already) to include such scenarios as well (CTR in 1-3 with sitelinks versus without).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Adwiser for the tip: Your experience, suggesting a strategy of bidding enough to hit the top 3 and (to get better than average performance for the position of your ad) take full advantage of Ad extensions, and layout options only available there.