Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can you delete some adwords data?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I accidentally added a positive broad keyword instead of a negative broad keyword. Usually I get around 40 impressions a day and instead I got about 2000 impressions today... 

It's going to mess with my CTR and other data, especially since 2000 impressions would normally take me almost 2 months. Is there any way I can just delete a single day from adwords? 

(edit: brought my adgroup CTR from 3.5% down to 1.9%). Will this have a huge impact on my quality score??

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Can you delete some adwords data?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

You can't just delete a day's worth of data - What happens happens. Smiley Happy 

I would not be concerned about quality score at all in this case. One day's worth of data is just a drop in the bucket over the course of time.

Personally, I wish that QS didn't cause so many advertisers so much stress and headaches (it's certainly not all there is to adwords), but I guess that's just the way it is. Smiley Sad

Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hmmm... Too bad.

I know it is only a day but in terms of impressions, it's about 2 months and dropped my CTR significantly. I checked my impressions today vs last week and already avg position dropped from 2 to 4.5 and only 4 impressions vs 40 usually..

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Today vs. last week can be misleading... What about today vs. the average results for that same day of the week over time?

Try segmenting your campaign by time > day of the week, and see how your performance varies based on the day of week. Is your avg. pos. for Saturday lower than the average position for the weekdays? 

What kind of bidding and budget are you using? If you are using auto bidding, there may be a temporary adjustment by the google machine due to the temporary change in expected impression volume. Especially if you have a limited budget, the avgerage position may be reduced temporarily.

There is more to the adrank equation than just QS. If QS is your primary concern, then keep a daily QS log for your most important term(s) in a spreadsheet or the like. If you know your QS didn't change when there is a hiccup like this, then you will know to look at other factors which may be part of the problem. For example, did a new competitor come into the marketplace? Did someone else raise their bids? Again, if you are using any automatic, or conversion enhanced bidding, the google machine may raise or lower your bids/position for any given impression. If Saturday's are "bad" days in comparison to weekdays, then your bids/position may be decreased. Etc., etc., ...

I could rant for days about the many reasons why there is more to adwords than just QS. The most important thing to consider when making your optimization decisions should be - what is my goal? So, QS aside, what goal are you trying to acheive with your adwords advertising? If you focus on trying to get more of that goal for the same amount of adbuy, the optimization steps you take to acheive that goal, may very well help improve QS. Smiley Happy

Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Tom.