AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can't exclude search terms with negative phrase keyword?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to exclude some search terms that are irrelevant to my business by adding negative keywords, but for some reasons, adding negative phrase doesn't work for me as the search terms I want to exclude still aren't listed as 'excluded' on the search terms report.

For example, I want to exclude the search term: 'tet 2017 vao ngay nao' (it's Vietnamese), so I added the negative keyword "ngay nao" and "tet 2017" to the campaign level, but nothing seems to change, so I try adding [tet 2017 vao ngay nao] instead and now it works.

Why is this happening?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Archit (Rising Star)
September 2016

Re: Can't exclude search terms with negative phrase keyword?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

When you add exactly same term as negative then only it appears as excluded under search term report. But when you add specific words it doesn't appear as excluded but it DOES work as negative term and it DOES block showing ads for any query includes these words.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
HI,

When you will add exact keyword as it is appearing in your search term report in any match type then it will show as excluded.

If you add some part of keyword as negative then it will block the traffic and will not show your ad in that keyword, but wont show as excluded in your search term report.

Regards,
Manish

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi,

The solution has already been provided here.
To cross-check please go through the negative keywords list, you will find both the keywords(phrase match) in the list.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’