6.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can old data influence Quality Score?

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi, I've just started a campaign using an old account, which has been previously (ie up to five or six years ago) been used for other campaigns, different sites, with different sets of keywords/ads etc.

The new campaigns arent associated in any way, but will the poor performance of the previous campaigns affect the quality score of the new campaigns?

Thanks

This popular discussion was copied from the former Help Forum.

Top Contributor, vkore91 replied:

Yes, the poor performance could impact your Quality Scores.  If you followed all of the best practices when setting up your new Campaign you eventually should be able to overcome the poor Quality Scores but I would suggest that you create a brand new Account and start from scratch.  You can use the AdWords Editor to download your new Campaign and then easily upload it into a new Account.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Kim_Clink (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Can old data influence Quality Score?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

adsizzler,

I'm afraid you are wrong about this. Old data does indeed affect your QS on the new campaign. Several things are considered when assigning the Quality Score for yoru keywords. Among those factors are the historical performance of the keyword across all accounts, the historical performance of the display domain across all accounts and the historical performance of your account.

While improving your campaigns will eventually overcome negative account history, that historical data is always a consideration.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

it will not affect your score.

if the campaign is completely different.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Kim_Clink (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

adsizzler,

I'm afraid you are wrong about this. Old data does indeed affect your QS on the new campaign. Several things are considered when assigning the Quality Score for yoru keywords. Among those factors are the historical performance of the keyword across all accounts, the historical performance of the display domain across all accounts and the historical performance of your account.

While improving your campaigns will eventually overcome negative account history, that historical data is always a consideration.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Everything can influence QS. AdWords takes into account everything from the keyword up to the entire account (it wouldn't surprise me some day to discover that even a MCC account can impcat the QS). If quality score is bad, and you think it should be higher, start at the bottom and work your way up. Look at your ad(s), is it highly relevant to the keyword, and does it's text contain the keyword (this can help)? If it is not relevant, change the ad(s) to make it relevant.  Next look at your landing page, is it relevant to both the ad and the keyword? If not, change to a different landing page or edit the current one. Next check out the adgroup, is the keyword relevant to the adgroup? If it is not, move it to a new adgroup, or create a new one. Then take another step up, does this keyword, ad, adgroup belong in this campaign? Again if you answer no, move it to a new or different campaign. Finally look at your whole account, are most of your keywords high or low QS? If most of your keywords have low QS you have some big issues, and probably need a big overhaul of your whole account. If most of you keywords have high QS, you are doing well and you should be able to make changes to improve those low QS keywords.

However, I must add that QS alone shouldn't determine your account structure. QS is good to help you find possible problems but if you have a low QS keyword that is making you tons of money, I wouldn't worry about the QS very much.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes it can and will!

But if You focus on best results (high CTR, good campaign relevancy, good landing page quality, exclude low QS and low CTR Keywords etc.) the impact should very soon be minor or not influential. From my experience soon = 100 clicks per Keyword and your CPC will decrease