AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can i set CPA bidding for a non ecommerce site?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a informative travel website. My conversion takes place when someone signups for my site. Can i be eligible for CPA if i meet the eligibility criteria? and what are the basic requirements/policies for the landing page when i go thru CPA bidding.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Can i set CPA bidding for a non ecommerce site?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Gurpreet, welcome to the Community.

You certainly could use CPA with a non-ecommerce site - an "acquisition" (or "action") is whatever you decide it may be so your conversion of a sign-up is perfectly valid.  The only crucial requirement for CPA bidding is that your Campaign must have received at least 15 conversions in the past 30 days and that that rate is steady (I presume you're using conversion tracking).

I'd offer just a couple of words of warning...  Conversion optimisation works better the higher your conversion rate.  While you may be eligible for CPA bidding with just 15 conversions in 30 days I'd suggest you'd want a much higher rate to get reliable results - at least double this.  I'd also suggest that you think very carefully about your target and/or average CPA to ensure they are realistic since you're only tracking "leads" not actual sales.

If you do move to CPA bidding, I'd recommend that you monitor the Campaign(s) very closely as results can vary and you may find it's not the most profitable bidding strategy, particularly since you cannot use most of the bid adjustment features that can help to really tune AdWords.

More about Conversion Optimisation

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the Reply Cob.. From my historical data a CPA of $3-4 is acceptable for me. Does that mean regardless of the clicks .. i will be charged only for Signups?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Gurpreet,

"...does this mean I'll be charged only for Sign-ups?"

Unfortunately, no.  Assuming you're using the CPC model then you'll still be charged for every click you receive but - if you set a CPA target of $3.50, for example - Google will manage your CPC, impressions and other settings to try and achieve that target.  The important word here is "try", since optimising in this way becomes easier the more data Google has to work with.  This is why I'd recommend keeping a close watch on the Campaign if you switch to CPA as some users do report poor results.

How many conversions per month are you getting at the moment?

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I am getting close to 500 conversions per month..

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
With that number of conversions I'd say you've got a good chance that CPA will work well for you. However, there's only one way to find out, and that's to try it. As I said though, make sure you monitor the Account closely. Give it a chance to work - it make take a few days to "settle down" but if it clearly isn't giving you better results, be prepared to switch back.

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Sounds good,,Will give it a try to test the results.

Thanks Cob Smiley Happy