AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can adding Google Analytics to my website hurt my QS?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using Google Adwords, and want to remarket to some audiences based on events, which AFAIU is possible only with Analytics.

However, I'm a bit reluctant to add it to my website as I'm not sure whether there can be some negative effect. 

What kind of Information about my website and visitors can Google get, once I add Google analytics?

For example, I don't care much about the bounce rate of my Adwords landing pages, as for me the only important thing is that visitors wiill convert, which can happen even in a few seconds. Perhaps Analytics will figure that if they bounce back fast, that my Landing page isn't providing enough "quality", and will punish me by lowering my QS?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can adding Google Analytics to my website hurt my QS?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Jay,

Adding Google Analytics code on the website does not impact anything.
It is beneficial as you will a more useful insights, not only from adwords but all other sources from where your website is accessed.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey Jay, how are things?

You don't have to worry at all about installing Google Analytics on your website. The installation DOES NOT affect your Quality Score once so ever.

Also, don't worry about Google knowing your that your Bounce Rate. There are websites that simply have high bounce rate because they deliver what the user is looking for. It's not always a bad thing having a high bounce rate.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
The truth is - you will learn a lot more about anything that's happening on your website that Google will (or, perhaps better stated, cares about).

You mentioned that Google might see a high bounce rate and penalise you - well, that is surely something you would want to know - and change for your own benefit.

You should definitely add GA to your site - or an alternate traffic tracking software (although none springs to mind that is free and anywhere near as powerful as GA) - since the insights can be invaluable.

Since you are thinking about remarketing you are kind of suggesting that it might be better to run ads without GA... and that would be a big mistake.

I must confess, I find it amazing just how many people appear to be running ad campaigns without any tracking. In the marketing world we have spent decades, and lots of money trying to track the behaviour of our target market - with coupons, tracking mail codes, separate telephone offers, discount codes and on and on... with GA we get a wealth of data which can give us actionables right off the bat. DI would urge you not to ignore it...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
- "You mentioned that Google might see a high bounce rate and penalise you - well, that is surely something you would want to know - and change for your own benefit."

I don't care about the bounce rate as long as conversions are occurring. if a visitor is savvy enough to finish converting within few seconds, then that's even better for me.

I didn't use analytics so far because I don't think the data would be any useful for me. I already have conversion tracking set up, and I send only PPC traffic to my website so I know every day exactly how many people visited what page and from where (Adwords or Bing). so besides of event tracking for advanced re marketing, I haven't found Analytics to be something that might provide me an interesting insight. how else can it contribute to my specific situation?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Well, that would depend upon your particular site and the nature of what you offer - as you mention, some people might convert in a matter of seconds, I guess it is something that is a simple decision... a kind of "OK, why not?" response.

However, imagine for a moment that you have more than one page on your site. And 80% of your site visitors leave from a specific page... that could help. If you are leaking visitors from a specific page, GA can tell you and you can fix things on that page to improve retention.

And GA gives you options to run content experiments on your landing pages. You have your current page - you can develop another - let GA split the traffic between the two and monitor (through goal tracking - much the same as your conversion) which version of the page works best. Discard the poorer performer and develop another to try and beat the champion.

Are there differences in the onsite behaviour between mobile users or desktop users? What about returning vs new visitors... what about people from town A compared with town B. How might it affect the way you advertise if you saw that people using mac computers and iphones converted at double the rate of Android and Windows users?

Some of this you can get from AdWords, but there is so much more you can get from Analytics.

Personally, I think that running any online marketing (email, ppc, banner ads, facebook, etc) without tracking in GA is a big mistake. GA will help you make small incremental improvements to your site that will lead to an improved ROI over time. If you don't think it can provide insights I would recommend you visit : http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/ - I think you will change your mind.