AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can We Put a Phone Number in Display Network Image Ads?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Are we able to put phone numbers in our image ads with a call to action?

For example, put a simple ad on real estate sites with my happy face next to some text that says, "Call me today to see this home: 734-123-1234"

Maybe set it to CPM bidding instead of CPC.

Alternatively, maybe I could put a button that says, "Direct Connect" on it.  Then, when people click on the button it takes them to my website where I have a video telling them to call me directly with my phone number in big/bold text above/below the video.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Can We Put a Phone Number in Display Network Image Ads?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey Brian,

Although Google does not want phone numbers in text ads or sitelink extensions I have not seen any Display Network ads disapproved at this point. I am not sure Google is enforcing the no phone number in ads rule across the display network in image ads.

No to say they won't randomly catch people or start enforcing it.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Brian,

To my knowledge, no, there is no policy against placing phone numbers within Content Network image ads. We have ads running (that have been running for a while) which contain phone numbers and it's never been flagged as an issue by Google.

There are policies that must be adhered to in terms of layout, quality etc. Specific Policies for Image Ads can be read here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?hl=en&ref_topic=1310862

Or, alternatively, visit https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/1316548?rd=1 to see the full roundup of policies for AdWords, covering everything from products that can't be advertised, through to claims you make within ads.

I've never found anything in these documents in my time of using them that says phone numbers are not allowed in image ads.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey Brian,

Although Google does not want phone numbers in text ads or sitelink extensions I have not seen any Display Network ads disapproved at this point. I am not sure Google is enforcing the no phone number in ads rule across the display network in image ads.

No to say they won't randomly catch people or start enforcing it.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
So IS there a policy against phone numbers in display ads?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Brian,

To my knowledge, no, there is no policy against placing phone numbers within Content Network image ads. We have ads running (that have been running for a while) which contain phone numbers and it's never been flagged as an issue by Google.

There are policies that must be adhered to in terms of layout, quality etc. Specific Policies for Image Ads can be read here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?hl=en&ref_topic=1310862

Or, alternatively, visit https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/1316548?rd=1 to see the full roundup of policies for AdWords, covering everything from products that can't be advertised, through to claims you make within ads.

I've never found anything in these documents in my time of using them that says phone numbers are not allowed in image ads.

Hope this helps.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The only time when my image Ad got dissaproved was when I tried to put the phone number in the text box which is a layer over the action button. The dissaproval said : no phone number in sitelinks, and that button was a link Smiley Happy

I don't think Google checks jpg files inserted in the Display Ads for pixels which would look like a phone number.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

As far as the Policy language; and as @Kim_Clink already said, phone numbers are not allowed in text ads and sitelinks. No reference for image ads.

Also; as Kim mentioned Google is in a long in delay in enforcing this Policy in existing ads. (The initial statement said that enforcement would start in July 2013.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

This issue is still a doubt for me as the google representatives from my local forum have answered to such a question by replying that no phone number is allowed in image Ads, only phone extension can be used which is displayed only near text ads when viewed on mobiles ( not even tablets with 3g). 

How can we request google to update that policy to be more specific about phone numbers embeded in the uploaded graphics of a Display Ad ? 

My interpretation would be that even image ads created with the Ad Gallery contain text because this is configurable in the interface as text for a headline and 2 description lines so this can be checked automatically for phone like text.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have just used the Ad Builder. It has automatically taken an image from the website that has a telephone number inside it. The telephone number is very small- but could be readable on larger image sizes. I might include another image from the website in case some ads are disapproved.

I suppose it is 2 factors.

1. Google Policy

2. AdSense website owner. As they can also stop certain adverts if they do not like them.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

This is overlay text. Different to embedded on the actual image itself.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’