AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can I use manual enhanced location extensions that are different from my google place account

ugh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
ugh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My main retail location is in a unheard of city for mailing purposes. 100yds away is a major city where I have a much smaller location 11 miles away.I can be a mile from my own store and not show up in any paid or natural search and my other store 10 miles away with 70 percent less stock and less experiencd staff.  I believe due to the smaller location being in the big city it is showing up more for ads as well as natural search. In addition, many other nonrelevent businesses show up before we do. I spend a great deal on google adwords to overcome this. In the past I used manual overrides in location extensions with better location information ,not matching my exact google places address and results really improved. I was advised by paid advisors that I it wasn't allowed so I stopped.This has really hurt business. What can I do. Any advice is appreciated as this actually devestating.   Thanks G

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I use manual enhanced location extensions that are different from my google place account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello ugh; welcome;

This is a nice question;

The accuracy of Geo targeting vary between countries. (And as a result, the solution that can be suggested.)

Are you based in the US or in the UK?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Can I use manual enhanced location extensions that are different from my google place account

ugh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
ugh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for responding Moshe TLV

I'm in the midwest U.S.

ugh

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

1. Have you tried to target the different locations using location extension?
  2. Another option: I assume that the different locations have different zip codes. You can set two different campaigns, each geo-targeting different zip codes

Read more:

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

ugh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
ugh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I use location extensions in every local ad. In most cases I use the address in the smaller city in an attempt to show the main store because google so strongly favors the smaller big city store in paid and natural search The problem is 1 mile from the main location at a major mall  google shows the map flag for the smaller big city store 11 miles away with the add that has the location extension for the main store and sometimes doesnt offer the main location flag, In addition, when the ad appears, because the main store city is  unknown to most people they ignore the ad believing we are no where near them.  I know that if I  put a manual address with additional info in my extensions that is different from my google places account I will get way more customers.  When I pick the one address in all my ads google claims my ads arent showing everywhere in my geo target,I assume because google thinks the other location is more relevent. How do I eliminate one location from my adwords account/ google places account. Do I have to set up another seperate account to make that work or just a another caimpaign? Can I target by exact zip codes or is it pure radius around cities. I think I understand correctly what you are suggesting and will set up a seperate caimpaign. Im still not sure google will recognize the market dominance of the main location. Thank you for your help. ugh

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I lost you...somewhere along the long sentences....

Can you use short sentences with  proper punctuation, so I can follow..  Preferably use bullets / number listing.

" the problem is 1 mile from the main location at a major mall google shows the map flag for the smaller big city store 11 miles away with the add that has the location extension for the main store and sometimes doesnt offer the main location flag"

Where is the main location...? Where is the main store? Which store is next to the mall?

Thank you !

ugh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
ugh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry for the confusion. 

The main store is one mile from the mall.

The main store has the unknown city name.

Main Location and Main store are the same thing

The second location is much smaller and 11 miles away but has a big city address.

The mall has the big city address as well.

Sometimes while standing at the mall the second location google map flag appears with the main store google ad.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Thanks for shortening into a list...

Sometimes while standing at the mall the second location (= 11 miles away) google map flag appears (- what is "google flag" ?) with the main store google ad."

I think I got the picture. Let me just make sure, I got you right:

• If I am physically in the mall, Do I ("sometimes") get to see the mall store ad, with the address of the other store ( that is 11 miles away)?
  • Does that happen only on mobile devices? OR also on desktops?

ugh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
ugh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

The google flag is the google map pin from google places

It happens on both devices.

Based on customer response mobile is more accurate and tends to show the correct main store flag while at the mall.

At my home 2 miles away in another small city on a desktop it will run 70/30 in favor of the store 11 miles away.

Sometimes In the main store on desktop the google map pin will show for the store 11 miles away.

Mobile devives in the main store show the main store google pin with ads.

To my surprise desktop to moble search is running 80/20.

I have wondered if the location setting in google places on consumer desk top computers is causing a problem.

Consumers might tend to select the big city as their location.

Thank you

ugh

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

The main methods Google uses to track location is by IP or by GPS (if activated on mobile). I think that what is happening, is that due to telecom infrastructure, the ISP (Internet Service Providers) assigns an IP from a different location (closer to main store).

The better accuracy of mobile - in my view - can be attributed to the better positioning by GPS compared to IPs.

ISPs tend to use dynamic IP for home users. I think this what causes your home location (=your home IP) to change. (Every time you reconnect to the internet you are assigned a different IP)