AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can I run image ads without setting keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created a new ad group with only image ads.  

In the display network tab, I choose some "topics" and hope my image ads will show on these topic relevant websites. Is it enough? Do I still need to setup some keywords? Thank you! 

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Can I run image ads without setting keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Nella,

Yes u can target topics without keyword, but u might want to monitor your cost and relevance of the resulting placements through topic targeting. For more granularity, its better to use keyword targeting, or a mix of both targeting.

More information with regards to targeting options:
http://www.google.com.sg/ads/displaynetwork/manage-your-ads/targeting-tools.html#tab=topics-targetin...

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I agree with Clarencelow.

Yes you can without keywords but the question is ROI (Return on Investment). Is it for the branding purpose or you need any specific conversion to happen in your website (say enquiry or purchase)?

For Branding Purpose, you may choose this way but again I would prefer you choose keywords.

I would prefer you strictly choose Keywords if you want any specific conversion or goals to happen. It makes sense to target pages that discuss about your specific keywords and cover those people who read those pages as they are in need of such information. If you cover any pages, you may get more irrelevant visitors .

Regards,
Balu.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Nella,

Yes u can target topics without keyword, but u might want to monitor your cost and relevance of the resulting placements through topic targeting. For more granularity, its better to use keyword targeting, or a mix of both targeting.

More information with regards to targeting options:
http://www.google.com.sg/ads/displaynetwork/manage-your-ads/targeting-tools.html#tab=topics-targetin...
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I agree with Clarencelow.

Yes you can without keywords but the question is ROI (Return on Investment). Is it for the branding purpose or you need any specific conversion to happen in your website (say enquiry or purchase)?

For Branding Purpose, you may choose this way but again I would prefer you choose keywords.

I would prefer you strictly choose Keywords if you want any specific conversion or goals to happen. It makes sense to target pages that discuss about your specific keywords and cover those people who read those pages as they are in need of such information. If you cover any pages, you may get more irrelevant visitors .

Regards,
Balu.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello ;

A similar question was just asked in another discussion.  So I am copying my answer there to this one:

A small addition to the answer above; 

As said; on the display network keywords work collectively as a theme to match relevant content (on webpages) to the "theme". Among the "theme keywords" (that you have chosen - Don't choose to many) there is leading KW, that is most relevant; This is the one that triggers the ad: its stats are reported on the display network tab. Once identified  to bring more clicks  - you could bid higher on this KW.

Read more:

A better way to buy display;

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Moshe,
Thanks for sharing the article. Interesting one.
Regards,
Balu.