AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can I run a campaign on automatic bidding and still use automated rules?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I currently have a campaign which I am using automatic bidding. Recently the auto bids went from over $9/click to an adjusted $4.60/click. Naturally, my average position is starting to slide down from 1.5 to 2.2 over the past few days. If I set up automated rules to increase CPC of keywords (based on their average position), would it make any impact on the campaign? (Would the whole campaign see a rise in the automated CPC?)

For our latest promo, I have a tight time frame to make a big impact on results quickly, otherwise, I'd test it out myself. Any insight/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for you insight.

Re: Can I run a campaign on automatic bidding and still use automated rules?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey mvoss,

I'm not entirely sure if you can use automatic bidding & automated rules that affect bids simultaneously, but my guess would be no. When setting up an automated rule, it allows you to run a test in order to see what would happen if that rule ran immediately. I would suggest testing a rule based on ad position to see if it allows the change to happen.

Keep in mind that automated bidding focuses on bringing in the most clicks possible. A better option might be Conversion Optimizer or selecting the Enhanced CPC option.

I would also recommend taking a look at the 'Keyword Positions' report in Google Analytics to see what position has the best conversion rate. Top position #1 does sound good, this is not always the top converting placement.

Thanks,

BI

Re: Can I run a campaign on automatic bidding and still use automated rules?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Obviously, any change you make to a campaign will have some sort of impact. It may not have the impact you intended and in fact be detrimental or in extreme cases, stop your campaign cold. I don't know about your specific question because I avoid using anything automatic preferring to keep control myself. I would certainly not use two or more automated rules but that's just me.

As mentioned, automatic bidding will try to maximize your clicks. Where your ads show will depend on factors at the time of the search, competitor bids and QS as well as your QS. But basically, to maximize your number of clicks, the system will attempt to place you as near the top position as possible. If you stop automatic bidding and don't bid high enough, unless you improve your ads for improved QS, you will likely see a drop in position and lower CPCs.

Your drop in position is not very drastic but the CPC is. To me, this suggests the top competitor with a high relative bid (maybe they use automatic bidding too with a high maximum), a higher QS than you, or both. I would stop automatic bidding and use fixed bidding and do some testing. You may find that second position is most profitable for you or that you can achieve first position at a lower cost than automatic bidding. Do test other ad variations too. That's a key in PPC, testing and not set everything on automatic.