AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can I have a search campaign only for Mobile?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello all,

I know I can have a search campaign for only desktop traffic (bid down -%100 for mobile). But there is no bid down for desktop.

Is there an avaialble feature allowing me to have a dedicated mobile search campaign?

Thanks,

Lea

4 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lea H
September 2015

Re: Can I have a search campaign only for Mobile?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Lea,

Welcome to the AdWords communitySmiley Happy

Yes bid modifier is only available in mobile. There is no such features in desktop. However you can do one thing..set the low bid and increase your mobile device upto 300% depending upon the requirement.
e.g if you want to bid $6 in mobile of a particular keyword xyz.

then you can set the bid $2 and increase the bid 300% for mobile devices.

Hope that will help youSmiley Happy
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Rakesh,

Thanks for your response. More then one person suggested I do this. It sounds very cumbersome, that it will be very hard to control actual max cpc bids for hundreds of keywords in a campaign, where the actual max cpc's wander between $6- $50 bids, with +%300 bid adjustment.

Have you ever tried this yourself?

Mobile Search Campaign

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello All,

Has anyone tried targeting only Mobile traffic in Google Search? (setting low bids and bidding up like %300 for Mobile).

If so were your bids in the $20-$50 range?

Is it reccomended to try such a campaign for that range of max cpc's?

Thanks,

Lea

Re: Mobile Search Campaign

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello ;
This really depends on the business you are in; Mobile is getting very popular.  Similar to desktops, there are very expensive clicks and "reasonably priced" clicks.... No general rule that can be concluded.
Use the keyword planner (historical data ) to get some raw data for the costs.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: Mobile Search Campaign

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Lea,

Yes, I am using this strategy for my clients. This is working fine for me although it is not perfect. If I am getting 100 clicks from mobile device only 6 clicks from computer which I am okay with.

For one of my campaign. I am getting approx 600 clicks for mobile and 200 impressions no clicks for computer & 20 impressions and no clicks for Tablet (in last 30 days).

There is no other workaround I came across so far to run mobile only campaign.

If your mobile bid is $18 per click. Keep adgroup level bid 5-6 and set mobile bid adjustment as +300%. I will rather start with 4-5 and see average position and accordingly will raise bids. The only thing is that I am running ads only on Google search no search partners.

Hope that helps!

- Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Leah,

Yes - cumbersome is one word for it - I, personally, have others.....

Unfortunately until we get an improved method of controlling impressions on devices this is the only solution....

You may have to segment your keywords by max bids and run campaigns for each band to achieve what you want... not what you wanted to hear, I know.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Steve,

LOL, thanks for your reply, sounds like you have some experience with this cumbersome method.
For one of my local clients, the inability to have a mobile only search campaign really hurts my ability to optimize his account and in turn the ROI. I hope Google will make this available soon.

Best,
Leah

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Lea,

there is a solution we use but it's not possible to do it from the start of a campaign. We use retargeting list search ads (RLSA -https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en) to target only visitors form the m.my-site.com.
But you have to have a list with at least 1000 memebers to target only mobile site version visitors.
And this method is not appropriate if you look for new mobile visitors.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Your suggestion is very interesting!
This particular client provides emergency services (locksmith) so unfortunately remarketing is just not relevant. But I might use your suggestion for other clients.

Best,
Lea