AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can I block VPN users from seeing my Ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Like a lot of Adwords users I strongly suspect that my competitors are cliking on my Ads in order to run my costs, particually on keywords which they will known are expensive. I've tried to block IP addresses which I suspect are the offenders (not sure exactly if it's working though). Lately I've been tracking visitors to my website using some software I found, I've discovered I'm getting a few paid clicks every day from someone using a VPN site (not sure if I'm aloud to name it, it's 'hide my **bleep**'), and they are masking their IP address by searching for my keywords through there and clicking on my Ad. The only conclusion I can come to is that it's one my competitors running up my Adwords costs, I don't know why anyone else would do this otherwise.

Is there a way I can block my Ad from showing, either to people searching through 'hide my **bleep**' or people using VPNs?

Thanks a lot.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Can I block VPN users from seeing my Ads?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi -
No, unfortunately you cannot block your AdWords Ads from appearing on searchers who use a proxy and/or VPN. For the visitors you see coming through the proxy site/VPN - are they coming from a specific geographic area? If so, you could always exclude that geographic area from seeing your Ads:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722040?hl=en

One thing to consider is completing a form to submit your data to Google and request an Invalid Clicks Investigation:
http://www.google.com/ads/adtrafficquality/advertisers/click-investigation-request.html

Final note, Google does have strong filters and algorithms in place to detect Invalid Clicks. Are you sure that these clicks haven't already been filtered out of your Account? You can see this via a Invalid Clicks Report:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549113

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks that's really helpful, I will look further in to it. Surely though if this person is masking their IP address/using a different IP for each paid click then I won't be able to identify an area they are in?

I would hope that with the technology Google have they can easily identify when people searching using similar sites to the on I mentioned previously and would not charge me (or even show my ads) to these people. It's having a really negative impact on the effectiveness of my Adwords campign!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
look at how many pages they view, how long they stay on the your site, look at the bounce rate on your keywords. those are great indicators on if someone is messing with your not.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
One or more of our competitors are clicking our ads. They are coming using VPN each time with a different IP and location. So we can't block certain geographies, otherwise we may end up blocking whole country. Google fraud detection system is not filtering them out and our leads/sales generated through Adwords has significantly dropped compared to the past. Requesting for invalid click investigation frequently is not a convenient and effective option. Can't Google detect and block VPN services somehow, or make some other proper arrangement to resolve this issue?

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.