AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Can Display Network ads help me sell a non-famous small product?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So Ive been using AdWords forever, but Ive stayed away from Display network.  I was wondering, say Im selling my own brand of baker soda, do you think in my case I could somehow tap into Dispaly Network ads to advertise at a profit? I tried it before and while I would get some conversions, the spending I would spend to get that conversion was pretty high but I wasnt sure if I was utilizing it correctly to begin with.  

Appreciate any tips! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can Display Network ads help me sell a non-famous small product?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Philip,

The display network is great for gaining awareness. Since many of your potential consumers likely don't know about your brand, I think the display network is a good idea. My tip is to make sure that your targeting is narrow so that you don't get excess/irrelevant traffic. I also suggest putting text ads and image ads in separate campaigns so that you can control budget separately. You may find that one performs better than the other. In my experience text ads go through budget much quicker and if you don't separate them, they will eat up the budget before the image ads get a chance.

I would try targeting the topic about Recipes for Baked Goods within the Food & Drink section. There may also be some interests that are a good fit, as well, and of course contextual targeting is a good option.

Here's more information about topics and interests:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497832?hl=en
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497941
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Philip L
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Philip,

To further Amy's comments, the GDN has come a long way in the past few years in terms of options with AdWords so while many of us long-term users did generate some disrespect for the channel, I think now it's worth a shot in many cases.  However, as Amy said, the key really is to keep a narrow target and a close eye on spend.

Personally I think one major key to GDN success is great Ads.  OK, that applies to pretty much all advertising, but with the GDN it really means image Ads and these days preferably animated Ads.  Creating good looking animations for use in Ads used to be quite difficult and expensive but there are lots of tools out there now to help with the process and frankly, if you don't use the very best Ads you can on the GDN, you're not giving it a fair chance.

There are lots of options for targeting in the GDN now - including the possibility to target without any Keywords - and Amy has provided links to the relevant Help files.  I'd advise thinking carefully about the difference between "Bid only" & "Bid & target" and would usually recommend that when you add a targeting option as a target that you include others as "bid only" so that you can segregate your data more easily and allow it to inform future and/or other Campaigns.

Don't forget about Remarketing.  If you've been running for years you should have a decent set of remarketing lists and you could consider using these as your target for one Campaign.  As with all remarketing, think carefully about who your audience is - are they repeat buyers or abandoned checkouts? - and make sure you cap your impressions to avoid the "creepiness" of Ads following people around the web all day.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you both! I will be reading your links and taking your feedbacks to heart and trying GDN.  Im glad it came a long way, I remember when it was even not recommended for me to use it by Google consultant themselves lol!  Do you have a recommendation for a tool to make animated ads with by any chance? Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Philip,

Well the only one I can really recommend is Google's own "Web Designer":

http://www.google.co.uk/webdesigner/

This has presets for all the Ad sizes and is apparently quite easy to use.  I say "apparently" because I've not had the time (or the need) to use it myself in anger, although I have played with it a bit.

It's free and made by the people that run the Ads themselves, so those alone are good plus points.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the referral, had no idea that existed for making ads and plan to try them out!