Guide Me
star_border

Campaigns that have low Ad Rank/Search IS Lost Rank

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a few clients that I am starting to see two consistent issues:

1. Geotargeting surrounding suburbs in a "Locations" campaign - Always has lost rank of 30 - 50%.  

I assumed this was because we are targeting suburbs surrounding the location, so most likely those locations are not in the ad copy.  Any ideas of what can be done to improve the lost rank?  Its so high!

2. Low Daily Budgets - Effects on Ad Rank and overall campaign? A few clients have low budgets of $10 daily budget etc.  and i know the effect is low impression share/clicks due to lost budget but any other effects/suggestions?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Campaigns that have low Ad Rank/Search IS Lost Rank

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Paula, how are things?

Ad rank relies a lot on Relevancy, so as more relevant you can be, the better and more chance will have to increase your participation on ad rank.

Answering your questions:

1. Optimize your campaign, that means: Create small ad groups with keywords about one theme, that way you can create specific ads for that ad group. Use ad extensions, increase your CPC a bit, analyze what kind of keywords you're buying, generic ones (like "car") or specific ones (long-tail, like "buy blue honda civic 2016"),

I'd recommend the view on this video and article right here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752122?hl=en

2. Low daily budgets effects on how many auctions you participate, but not your Ad Rank calculation.

There's no miracle when working with low budget campaigns, but one important thing is to apply every best practice as possible for you to have a chance for the lowest costs ever.

On that, I'll recommend two articles:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/wine-bar/td-p/474662

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6154846?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! I'll review all those articles. With Point 1 - The issue is exactly relevance. if I am bidding on "florist darlinghurst" but i am located in the rocks, I can't ethically put "florist darlinghurst" in my ad because thats not true, but i want to bid on that term as its a suburb within a few km's of me that i would deliver to for free (As an example). This issue comes up alot in Local Adwords, I'm looking for a solution for this as lost ad rank is so high due to this issue. Thanks!! Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Paula,

It's not wrong to add that keyword to your ad if you deliver your product on that region, even if you're not located there. Something like "Free Flower Delivery to Darlinghurst". This would be very powerful in my opinion, and the "to" gives the idea that you're not located there already.

If you have good product, good user experience on your website and so on, they will probably buy from you, specially with free delivery since shipping and delivery are usually high cost services.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hello Paula, in addition to some good advices from @leandrofm, I would suggest to make sure that you are targeting broad match modifier and exact keywords (not broad). https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

If you are using broad match you will participate in lot's of auctions which are not relevant to your business model and may not get relevant traffic from your most relevant search terms. Also make sure that you have worked out a good list of negative keywords.

Cheers,
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency