Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Campaigns Stopped Running

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Last week all of a sudden 41 out of more than 100 display campaigns that I have running, just completely stopped. 

I checked history data to see what might have caused it, and the only changes that were made were placement and topic exclusions, bidding, and bid adjustments. 

All the ads are approved, and none of the campaigns have an end date. 

Other than that all of them have a lot of targeting (over 100 interests/topics)

Some of the campaigns were on conversion optimizer, which I turned off, and put them on manual CPC, but it still didn't help.

It's especially strange since a lot of the campaigns are still running and doing well, and it's just these campaigns that one day cut off. 

Does anyone have an idea why this might be and how can I fix it?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Re: Campaigns Stopped Running

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Roni,

Hard to say exactly why this happened, but I'd guess that your updated bids have something to do with this.  Are your current Max CPC Bids close to what your Actual CPCs were when you were on Conversion Optimizer?  I suggest having your Max CPC Bids set a little higher than what your Actual CPCs were when you were on Conversion Optimizer and see if that helps.

Finally, you mention Topic and Placement Exclusions, which are great from an optimization standpoint, but are you sure you didn't exclude any topics and placements that were doing well for you and getting you a lot of traffic?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian,

The bids were set the same way that I always do them, and generally they got CPCs that were similar to the average CPCs so I don't think this was the problem. Especially because this is something I have been doing for a long time, and also campaigns on conversion optimizer have all of a sudden stopped.

About the exclusions- I did exclude a few topics and placements that had a lot of traffic, but they were all very bad to the account, with very low CTR and high CPAs. There are a lot of other topics in these campaigns (almost all the possible topics) so I find it hard to believe that excluding a few made that happen.

I appreciate your help and response! Thanks!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Roni,
And your Ads are still active too, correct? Another thing to check is to make sure that you have targeting turned on for outside of the Topics and Placements that you excluded.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Yes, all the ads are approved and active, and there is a lot of active targeting other than the few topics and placements that were excluded.
Most of the campaigns are set to target and bid only for audiences, so the few topic and placement exclusions shouldn't have impacted them too much.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Its difficult to give an answer this way. To make sure its not because of an issue of your targeting, create a new ad group, copy all the ads from your other adgroups and let let run for a day. If it do not run there might be a problem with your campaign settings. Better contact your Adwords rep or give a call to support center

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jithin,

Thanks for your answer!
In the end I did call support, and it turns out that it was some bug on Google's end because there were both interests and remarketing targeting together in those campaigns.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Happy Advertising..