Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign structuring methods

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have been doing adwords campaigns for some time but not all of them are successful no matter how much I optimize. I would very much appreciate if you could help me with some examples of structuring methods that have worked best for you or you consider them to be a model.

I am encountering many difficult situations for several accounts such as: campaigns for banking products or cars that only deliver for the branded keywords and not so much on specific search. If I limit to specific searches I do not spend the budget, if I use the branded keywords then I get the error saying my keyword is already showing for a different ad. I have read here that this is related to the campaign structure so I would like to know what is the "successful campaign structure".

Or I have lead campaigns that deliver clicks but no leads and no matter how much I optimize I cannot improve the conversions.

If you could help me with any advice, I would be grateful.

Thank you in advance,
Roxana

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Campaign structuring methods

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Rocana
That's a fantastic question and worthy of more discussion.

First of all, it's important to acknowledge that AdWords doesn't/can't always work for every industry. It's rare, but it's something to consider.

In super tough industries, like banking, I can tell you now that the value is almost always made up on the back end. Paying $50 a click to get someone to sign up for a free account might seem counter-intuitive but as I'm sure you know, the bank makes this back 10-100 fold over time. This is where you need to get a little more advanced in your decision making and structuring. Mapping out the lifetime value of a keyword (not the same as the lifetime customer value) can help with deciding budgets and bids for keywords.

In terms of structuring, it's common to have a separate brand campaign like you suggested. Beyond that, what we like to do is to create an account structure similar to the structure of the website. We'll bid broad initially to get a list of converting keywords then put these converting keywords into their own "converting" campaign so we can pay special attention to them and really go to town on them with extensions and optimization. If you're going to maintain a smaller "lifetime keyword value" list, this would be the campaign to do it in.

You might also want to explore various bidding strategies. Bidding to ROI using flexible bidding strategies can be really amazing if you have the conversion volume to make it work properly. I've never seen it work straight away, it takes time and TLC but it's worth the effort if you've got more than 100 conversions in a campaign per month (that's not the minimum needed, just what I've found works best).

Other than that, it's really up to you. You can use campaign experiments to test new campaign details but without knowing more about your account, I can't really advise there.

Finally, we've moved away from the conversion and ROI values inside AdWords and have started to focus more on the various attribution models in Google Analytics to attribute the value (and success) of an AdWords campaign or keyword. It's more accurate and leads to smarter internal decisions. I'd highly recommend that you take a look into that. If you'd like more info, I can recommend the Analytics Academy courses by Google. They're free and basic but provide a great starting point for this more advanced mindset.

Hope that helps.