AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Call extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work for a full-service advertising agency, and I'm in charge of running a campaign for a new client. They have a fairly small target area with a large budget, and their CTR is 2.74%. So overall I think it's doing pretty well with the exception of call extensions. I enabled the call extensions, made sure they were running on both campaign and ad group level, and even wrote some ads with a "call today" tagline.

However, I have only received one phone call in the past 2 weeks even though the ad extensions tab is showing 438 clicks on the ad with phone number enabled. So I know people are seeing my ad and the phone number, but they're not calling it.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on what I can do to improve this? My client was very excited about using call tracking, and so far it's a very disappointing result.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Call extensions

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
You may try only enabling call extensions on mobile devices.

Siva.

Re: Call extensions

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi ceamarketing,

Tough to say. If there isn't enough information for the users in the ads, they may just click through to find out more. Once on the site, your call tracking is gone, unless you've implemented something on the site as well.

If they have excess budget and are getting a number of phone calls (without knowing the source of those calls), perhaps a suggestion of 3rd party call tracking could work for them.

Bottom line, you can't force someone to pick up the phone, especially while viewing an ad. Add to that the fact that computers and tablets don't place calls very easily in most cases and you end up with minimal calls.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’