AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Call-Only Campaign ads cutting off?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anyone noticed call-only ads being cut off in Description Line 2? I've noticed in several previews using Adwords' Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool that this is happening. For example: The last line of the call-only ad will say "Call now for..." (including the ....)

I've tested a few searches on my own mobile device (iphone), and it seems other companies' ads are fully showing.

How can I figure out how our ad is actually being displayed? If there's obviously room for more characters, why would Google cut off the ad even when I fall within the 35 character limit per description line?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks fellow Googlers.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ashley N
August 2016

Re: Call-Only Campaign ads cutting off?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for posting to the Community. Our system will sometimes shorten your ad text to ensure it fits in the space allotted when it appears with the call button. This only occurs in a small percentage of instances on devices with small screen sizes (an example where this sometimes happens is on the iPhone 5). Although there's no way to guarantee that truncation will never happen, you can reduce the length of your description line to 51 characters or less - this is the average number of characters that can show in a truncated ad text.

Let me know if you have additional questions,
Cassie

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ashley N
August 2016

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for posting to the Community. Our system will sometimes shorten your ad text to ensure it fits in the space allotted when it appears with the call button. This only occurs in a small percentage of instances on devices with small screen sizes (an example where this sometimes happens is on the iPhone 5). Although there's no way to guarantee that truncation will never happen, you can reduce the length of your description line to 51 characters or less - this is the average number of characters that can show in a truncated ad text.

Let me know if you have additional questions,
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, this is very helpful to know!