Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Call Only Ads Getting Clicks But No Calls

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running a call only campaign on Taxi Booking Service for my Australian client. In the last two days Ads got 23 clicks, but no phone calls...what's the issue as the Call-only ads only appear on devices that can make phone calls, and the ads are designed to encourage people to call. All clicks on these ads send potential customers to call you from their smartphones.

Suggestions needed

2 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Aslam,

Click through call only campaigns is initiated in 2 steps:

1st - The user click the number to call

2nd - There is a need to dial that number which is on the display after clicking.

If that user has clicked but have not dialed the number due to any reason and then you will not receive any call, but only clicks.

Pull out a search term report and check whether the user queries were irrelevant. if yes add all those irrelevant search terms as negative to prevent your ads triggering on such queries and unnecessary budget consumption.

Also change your match type for the keywords to limit or control impressions and clicks.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Rajat

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aslam S
June

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The issue with call only ads is this... the whole ad is the link... and if a user clicks anywhere on the ad their phone opens up the phone app with the number pre-entered and they can simply click on the call button.

In my experience these tend to put people off a little - they were expecting (reasonably) to be taken to a website and then have the opportunity to call. My feeling is that many people are simply not ready to place the call and kind of panic a little when they think the call is going through - so they probably hit the hang up button or close the app.

It all seems a little aggressive and it is likely to take some time for people to be accustomed to the process - but, personally, I `prefer to let other advertisers spend their budgets to "teach" the market. 

I would think that a taxi service is one which click to call could work better for - perhaps you could try changing the ad copy to include something like - call us now! - that might smooth the otherwise abrupt transition from "I'm searching for a service" to "oh, wow - I'm calling them!!"

Re: Call Only Ads Getting Clicks But No Calls

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Rajat S

Thanks for the reply, I have already checked Search Terms report and not found any irrelevant searches. Regarding Match Types, I am using BMM & Exact match keywords for relevant queries.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@stickleback

Thanks for the reply...yes Ad copy is one of the option...I will do some changes and let you know if get any success.....If I am not thinking wrong, competitors can click on my Ad and exhaust my balance ?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Competitors can  (and some probably do) click on your ad to exhaust your balance, but Google is pretty good at spotting this and refunding the charges.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @stickleback

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I agree  with @stickleback. There are verticals for which call only simply does not convert. I prefer the classic ad with call extensions.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’