AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Call Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have recently enabled call extensions on my mobile campaign. I see a few conversions but what does that mean exactly? Obviously, there is no way of knowing whether a call resulted in a sale - so what do these conversions mean?

Also, does a click mean a call?

Tim

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Call Extensions

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
If you see the segment stating clicks to call then yes those were phone calls.

As for the Dimensions tab data - Try changing the date range to the last 30 days and see what you get. Also make sure to add the Campaign and AdGroups metrics under the columns button.

Let us know what you see.

PS if you just enabled this clicks to call/call metrics features yesterday or really recently then it may take awhile to show the data. I think if I remember correctly someone at Google support told me to wait 24 hours for phone data to hit that report.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author harlandcorp
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Call forwarding numbers are definitely avialable to all in the US, and should be in the UK as well.

In Kim's wiki article (Here is the Link to know more about call extensions - Raghu), you can see in the screen shot the option to select either standard or google call forwarding options.

You are not charged per minute. You are charged a minimum fee of $1.00 per manually dialed call. You can bid more for phone calls, just as you can bid more for clicks if you want to though. For mobile click to call calls, you are charged the same as you are for standard call extensions click to call clicks/calls.

There are some potential disadvantages. The numbers are toll free only (no local numbers), and the forwarding number displayed will not be your phone number. Google technically owns the number, and could possibly change the number being displayed at any time. There is also a minimum click threshold (25 clicks in 30 days?) per adgroup to display a call forwarding call extension, so it may take a while to start accruing (call forwarding) call impressions, and receiving calls.

There are no quick and easy answers to the adwords call tracking question, except for having a dedicated phone line. Smiley Happy Regardless of what kind of call extensions you do or don't use, you have the phone records to compare the adwords data to.

Tom

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

When a visitor saw your ad with the phone number and he called the phone number which is displayed in the ad with out entering to the website. Call extensions will help you to track how many visitors have called that number.

At the backend you have to find out how many visitors have actually converted.

Here is the Link to know more about call extensions

Raghu

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Where do you see the conversions?

Do you have the Call Details enabled in the User Interface so you see the Phone impressions and number of calls?

Clicks are clicks and calls are calls. However when you read the data on the call extensions page under Ad Extensions you will see the number of clicks that happened when the phone number was showing but that does not mean they called, just they clicked when the number was shown. Now having said that if you setup the call extension for mobile to be a click to call setup then clicks = calls Smiley Wink

You can see more granular data on the calls by segmenting the campaign/adgroup by click type. Go to the adgroups and then find the segment button and run the segment by click type and there you will see the breakdown of clicks, mobile click to call, etc.

You can also see the Dimensions tab > Call details report to get more info on the calls. You can see date/time/duration/area code and perhaps match that data up with the tracking you are hopefully doing there internally at your office.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kim

I am seeing conversions in my campaign. I segmented like you suggested and now I can see that 5 clicks were click to call so the campaign has generated 5 phone calls is that correct?

We can track this information in house, but first I need to see what data AdWords stores about the call. I go to Dimensions > Call Details and all it says is "You haven't selected any columns with statistics. Click 'Columns' in the toolbar and select the statistics that you want to see."

I have checked the columns and it they are all selected. Any ideas how I get this to show the details?

Tim

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
If you see the segment stating clicks to call then yes those were phone calls.

As for the Dimensions tab data - Try changing the date range to the last 30 days and see what you get. Also make sure to add the Campaign and AdGroups metrics under the columns button.

Let us know what you see.

PS if you just enabled this clicks to call/call metrics features yesterday or really recently then it may take awhile to show the data. I think if I remember correctly someone at Google support told me to wait 24 hours for phone data to hit that report.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

If these are standard call extensions, then you won't see any data in the dimensions tab. You have to have google call forwarding number extensions enabled in order to see the dimensions tab details.

Click to call clicks are not neccessarily intended, completed, or received calls. If you use google forwarding extensions, then you could compare the mobile call details in the dimension tab to the click to call clicks from the campaign segment. Odds are, those "totals" aren't going to match up exactly though.

Do you have a dedicated phone line for adwords calls only? At the end of the day, the only way to really know how many calls came from users seeing, and calling a number directly from the adwords ad is to have a dedicated line. 

As far as the conversions are concerned, I thought the only way to track a call as a conversion was to have a click to call icon on the site. You can then track those on-site click to call clicks as adwords conversions, when the click to call call came from an adwords visitor.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's interesting thanks for clearing up the differences. The campaign has been active for approx 7 days so I don't think the data is delayed. It's likely to be the fact that I have not used a Google forwarding number, is this available in the UK?

Will I be charged per minute for the call through the Google number?

I like the idea about having a dedicated line that would work quite well, I may try and set up this option in the short term.

Thanks again!

Tim

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author harlandcorp
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Call forwarding numbers are definitely avialable to all in the US, and should be in the UK as well.

In Kim's wiki article (Here is the Link to know more about call extensions - Raghu), you can see in the screen shot the option to select either standard or google call forwarding options.

You are not charged per minute. You are charged a minimum fee of $1.00 per manually dialed call. You can bid more for phone calls, just as you can bid more for clicks if you want to though. For mobile click to call calls, you are charged the same as you are for standard call extensions click to call clicks/calls.

There are some potential disadvantages. The numbers are toll free only (no local numbers), and the forwarding number displayed will not be your phone number. Google technically owns the number, and could possibly change the number being displayed at any time. There is also a minimum click threshold (25 clicks in 30 days?) per adgroup to display a call forwarding call extension, so it may take a while to start accruing (call forwarding) call impressions, and receiving calls.

There are no quick and easy answers to the adwords call tracking question, except for having a dedicated phone line. Smiley Happy Regardless of what kind of call extensions you do or don't use, you have the phone records to compare the adwords data to.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A lot of this has changed since enhanced campaigns came out. Here is what I know:

1) Calls no longer cost $1.00 per call. They are free in enhanced campaigns. This also means you can no longer bid to get your phone number to show more often. (I wish you could because I am stuggling with the next point.)

2) It's still true that an adgroup has to have a minimum number of clicks in 30 days. It's somewhere between 25 and 35 clicks, or a click per day on average.

Point number two is my biggest gripe with the loss of the ability to put phone numbers in description lines of ad text. Long tail keywords with little volume will never work in a call-centered campaign.