AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Call Extension clicks and impressions very low

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

A problem which has arisen from time to time with the same client who keep spotting it.

Looking at a campaign for a 30 day time period, and looking at overall ad clicks and impressions:

Mobiles - 467 clicks 17511 impressions

Tablets - 223 clicks 7576 impressions

Computers - 920 clicks 37042 impressions

However, when I look at the call extension tab, clicks and impressions for the same time period are:

53 clicks 1390 impressions.

Something obviously wrong here.

The call extension is targetting all devices as well.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tank M
September 2015

Re: Call Extension clicks and impressions very low

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

First, good CTRs don't automatically mean high ad positioning on the SERPs. Check your ads' "average positioning" daily or hourly over the long term by viewing or running reports for different time frames. Your ads may be performing differently than you really understand if you're only viewing aggregate data.

Second, what is a "good" CTR can be a very different number from one industry to another.  I'd recommend some long-term analysis of the Auction Insights report in order to better judge how your ads are positioning in relation to those of your competitors.

Third, you say, "I've only ever been able to see them occasionally" which suggests that you're searching in the live environment to see how your ads are appearing. If you are, you need to understand that the more times the system shows you an ad and you fail to click on it, the less likely it is that the system will show you the ad again. 

That is to say, the system serves ads dynamically. If it's shown you an ad several times and you haven't clicked on it, the system will eventually stop showing you that ad. 

You should always use the Preview tool in your account to look at your ads--it replicates the conditions of the "live" environment at that moment but without having a negative impact on campaign performance or search results.

For a better understanding of when and how ad extensions can be triggered, read the Help Center information at Measure ad extension performance. You can find additional information the Why your ad extensions aren't showing page.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
The ad extensions tab only shows data fro when a call extension is shown. So during that time frame, a call extension was only shown 1,390 times. Of those impressions, some part of the ad was clicked 53 times. None of that data has anything to do with whether or not any of those clicks were actually calls.

If you are trying to figure out how many calls were generated, then first of all you have to know what kind of call extensions you are using. If you are not using google call forwarding call extensions, you can't actually track any calls.

With standard call extensions, the only "call" data you can get is the click type segment. You can see how many mobile click to call clicks you received, but there is no guarantee that those clicks actually resulted in phone calls.
Tom

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

At the moment, I would be more interested in seeing how many times the click to call button or phone number is being displayed, and how to improve it...

Would it be better to use a Google forwarding number as opposed to a regular number which is displayed on the website?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

At the moment, I would be more interested in seeing how many times the click to call button or phone number is being displayed, 

The answer to that is that the extension was triggered 1390 times during the time frame you're viewing, and it received 53 clicks. That's a 3.81% click rate.

A Google forwarding number will not automatically improve your results, no.

If it were me, the first thing I'd do would be to analyze some longer-term data (60-90 days, at least) to see if I could find patterns for which keywords/searches were triggering phone calls. I'd look for patterns and ways to encourage that traffic.

Also, I would create a set of ads specifically targeted to mobile traffic, using a Call to Action that encourages searchers to call the business when they see the ad. The kind of CtA that can encourage calls include special discounts (5% off if you call today) or promises of prompt action--whatever might be important to the person doing the searching.

A CtA that encourages calls on your "regular" (i.e., destop PC) ads is also important of course. 

Basically, I guess I'm saying--if you're not getting the results you want from your ads, analyze your campaign to figure out when and how calls are triggered and try to enhance performance for those circumstances and try testing different ad messaging.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have ads that are only targeting mobile traffic, but will think about changing the message in them to only prompt people to call.

I also have ads that would target people outside of office hours. At the moment, it would be a case that the call extension only operates during certain hours, for example, office hours.

I suppose my query was in relation to overall clicks and impressions, is the call extension not quite low even in terms of impressions? (mobile ad impressions Vs call extension settings)

At the moment, we would have to rely on the client telling us what the volume of calls is like.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Good morning.

Call Extension numbers are lower than overall impression/keyword numbers because the call extension isn't necessarily triggered every time your ad is displayed. To learn more about how Call Extensions work, read here.

It's quite normal to track actual calls (volume and quality) separately. Many of my clients use a 3rd party provider that allows call tracking, so we can pinpoint how many calls are being generated by their advertising.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If an ad is in position 1 or 2, should it not trigger the call extension every time?

One would assume ads with good CTRs would trigger the extensions, but I've only ever been able to see them occasionally, which is frustrating.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tank M
September 2015

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

First, good CTRs don't automatically mean high ad positioning on the SERPs. Check your ads' "average positioning" daily or hourly over the long term by viewing or running reports for different time frames. Your ads may be performing differently than you really understand if you're only viewing aggregate data.

Second, what is a "good" CTR can be a very different number from one industry to another.  I'd recommend some long-term analysis of the Auction Insights report in order to better judge how your ads are positioning in relation to those of your competitors.

Third, you say, "I've only ever been able to see them occasionally" which suggests that you're searching in the live environment to see how your ads are appearing. If you are, you need to understand that the more times the system shows you an ad and you fail to click on it, the less likely it is that the system will show you the ad again. 

That is to say, the system serves ads dynamically. If it's shown you an ad several times and you haven't clicked on it, the system will eventually stop showing you that ad. 

You should always use the Preview tool in your account to look at your ads--it replicates the conditions of the "live" environment at that moment but without having a negative impact on campaign performance or search results.

For a better understanding of when and how ad extensions can be triggered, read the Help Center information at Measure ad extension performance. You can find additional information the Why your ad extensions aren't showing page.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
Theresa - I don't ever see call extensions in the ad preview tool. So, I have to use a live search from my non-signed browser (FF), and all the data/history cleared. Am I missing something? How would you use the preview tool in this case - What settings, etc. can I use to preview call extensions?
Tom

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner
Tom.

You want to use the Preview Tool so you do not accumulate impressions without clicks. In terms of why you don't see Call Extensions when using the preview tool, make sure you are selecting the preview mode as if you are in Mobile. If you are previewing with the default desktop view, you should rarely (if ever) see the call extensions.