Guide Me
star_border

Call Conversion Tracking not showing

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Community,

I'm trying to implement call conversion tracking on my site http://computer-alchemy.com/

I believe I've followed the tag implementation guides to the letter. I do have a call extension enabled for the campaign I want to run it in.

However:

- I never see a forwarding number in my ads themselves (I've had others bring up the ads offsite as well) even though my extensions are set to show a forwarding number.

- My phone numbers never change dynamically on my site from my normal number to a forwarding number the way they should.

I've even had the AdWords integration team look at the code. They told me to make some changes which I tried. They did not work. I combed back over the tag/code implementation documentation and redid the code. Still no dice.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm wide open to them!

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kevin O
August 2016

Re: Call Conversion Tracking

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
You have to achieve a certain level of volume and performance at the adgroup level in order to be eligible to show a call forwarding number with your ads. If you don't meet that threshold, then only a standard call extension with your actual phone number will show. Once you reach that performance threshold, you have to maintain a certain level of call volume, and Phone Through Rate to maintain that/those call forwarding numbers. Make sure you enable the call details columns at the campaign and adgroup level, and check to see if you are getting any phone impressions yet.

As far as the website phone number, you won't see a Google forwarding number, unless you enter the site via a click on an AdWords ad. AdWords conversion tracking (and call conversion/tracking/forwarding) code only applies to AdWords visits. No other sources will be tracked, and no other sources will trigger the call forwarding number on site.
Tom

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Kevin,

How did you get the tracking code for call conversion? Call conversion tracking does not require any code to be placed on your site. You just need to follow the steps in the following link to enable call conversion tracking in your campaign.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095882

Don't forget to make changes in your call extension and call only ads(if any) once you finish setup call conversion action

Hope it helps !!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kevin O
August 2016

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
You have to achieve a certain level of volume and performance at the adgroup level in order to be eligible to show a call forwarding number with your ads. If you don't meet that threshold, then only a standard call extension with your actual phone number will show. Once you reach that performance threshold, you have to maintain a certain level of call volume, and Phone Through Rate to maintain that/those call forwarding numbers. Make sure you enable the call details columns at the campaign and adgroup level, and check to see if you are getting any phone impressions yet.

As far as the website phone number, you won't see a Google forwarding number, unless you enter the site via a click on an AdWords ad. AdWords conversion tracking (and call conversion/tracking/forwarding) code only applies to AdWords visits. No other sources will be tracked, and no other sources will trigger the call forwarding number on site.
Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,

This is great info. Thank you! So far as the 2nd paragraph, I did try to enter my site via my own adwords ads. I just paid for the clicks on a cheap keyword. My number just didn't show, but it doesn't necessarily show with all my impressions - as you mentioned above.

Including the call stats, I can see that I've received 6 calls over time. Is there any way to segment those out and see which came from calls from ads and which were calls from website? Or is that info only available if they actually meet the minimum threshold of time required to be counted as a conversion (in which case, I can check in the conversions section?)?

Really grateful for your answer. Thank you.

Kevin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Tom,

I now see that I can enable a "Phone Conversion" column in my reporting too. If I don't choose "include in conversions" where I have defined my call conversions, can I still see phone conversions in that column? (i.e. will they not register in the normal "conversions" column, just in the "phone conversion" column?).

Thanks,

Kevin

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
There is a "call source" column for the dimensions tab, call details report. So you should be able to see the source (ads or website) in that column. (Unfortunately I don't have any clients who use the AdWords conversion code on site, so all I have is calls from ads data in that column.)

There are no conversion columns in that report, and the lowest level of detail is the adgroup. So, being counted as a conversion is not required for that level of detail, but to get any more granular with the analysis, you have to be able to segment by conversions.

Phone calls and phone call conversions may not report in the converted clicks column - I optimize for conversions, and phone call conversions report for both conversions, and all conversions columns only. I do not have any data in the phone call conversions column with my setup. In addition, the phone call conversions column only reports down to the adgroup level.

So, in the long run, the only way to get all the data relating to phone calls, at every level of the account, is to count them as conversions.
Tom

Call Conversion Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

I have a question. We heavily look out and audit all the leads to find out the source of the leads. 

If this is the case, we have chances that there could be leads that goes into wrong buckets. 

If the original extension number is shown instead of Google Forward Number, we risk to loose that lead. 

Is this the case? 

Call Conversion Tracking not showing

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Do you know where I can get more data on how high this threshold is?